Texas LB22

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Texas LB22

Post by Noles309 »

She looks awesome 8) Congratulations!
Gary
GF-16 Completed

RR
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RR »

Congratulations Dougster! She is such a beautiful boat. :D
Dougster, you probably will be able to get 20 MPH at WOT with your motor because the Evinrude website shows the 30 HP E-TEC's "Full Throttle RPM Range" = 5500-6000 RPMs, and your trial ran at only 4950 RPMs. A little adjustment of something will most likely increase your RPMs. (I know nothin 'bout nothin so I couldn't suggest what to try, but there are some real smarties here in the Forum who would probably be happy to help you.) Good luck Dougster.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

congratulations on the launch, a very satisfying day I'm sure.......... very nice :)

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Walkers Run »

Just awsome Dougster!
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

She ran a two run course average of 18.5 mph at about 4950 rpm with 30 horse e-tec. Dunno the pitch on the factory prop that came with the motor, but will find out. I'd hoped for 20 so am giving myself a near miss.
Wrong prop Doug, it has too much pitch. Need to get the rpms up almost another 1,000. See if your engine dealer will swap it, or has some loaners to try. The size is stamped on it somewhere on the hub. Whatever size you have on it now, I'd try one with 2" less pitch and see how it behaves.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Thanks to everyone, too many to mention you all. I had to work today but am off tomorrow and will start the prop hunt. I knew she needed more RPMs so figured maybe the prop has too much bite. It's whatever came with motor and Ed the dealer is proud of prop knowledge so I'll call him tomorrow. Jacques correctly pointed out that the plans call for 18 mph with 30 horses (I'd incorrectly recalled it as 18 knts.), so that's pretty dang good designing. She hits the mark plus .5 running nose high, and over propped. I liked stainless steel props in the past so intended all along to get another and keep this one as a spare. Lotta dang surprise reefs in our bays here. I remember hitting one years ago and knocking the stuffing out of myself against the wheel. Prop survived just fine, as did the lower unit. Thanks for the 2" starting point tip Larry. Do you think that may help bring her nose down? Like Jacques, she rides a little stern high, even with no water in the bait well. Anchor, chain and rode are on board, but no spare anchor and zilch in the cabin storage, which will of course change and add weight forward.

The other issue was the trailer: she doesn't drive on easily and I had to get out and position her in the end. Gotta fool with that some. The Garmin and Furuno sonar, much too my surprise, came on immediately and looked great. I really had never turned them on, just wired it all up and crossed my fingers :!: Couldn't believe they both worked. I gotta learn how to use them of course. The Furuno seemed really nice. Time will tell.

I'm immensely relieved at her performance "out of the box" so to speak. I build her over weight as a beginner but she still runs true, floats on her lines, and hits her designed speed mark. Hats off to Jacques for these professional designs.

Thanks again to all of you guys for chiming in. Means a lot after all those lonely hours with the sander and the anxious pondering.

Built a boat Dougster :D

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

Congratulations Dougster!
Shaun
(B.O.B. = Builder Of Boats)

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Well I made it back from 3 days sea trials in Port Mansfield. I stayed in the bay and what's called the east cut 'cuz we had 20 mph winds with gusts to 30 every day 8O She's a better boat than I am a skipper, I'll say that. Still runs bow high a bit but not too much. Fully loaded she gets only 4800 rpms at full throttle, so I believe I need to go down 2" in pitch on the prop. The sad news is my 15 years without skippering a boat made for mucho trouble when docking her. When it came time to put her back on the trailer the best ramp/dock in town was closed due to construction. The only one left is rough and with wind gusts to 30 and my lack of experience, I really couldn't handle her. After 3 more or less crashes into the dock I got her on the trailer, scratched up paint and all :roll: The hull will need another coat of Sterling to fix those scratches, but I'm over it. Nothing broke, and she handled really rough conditions with no pounding. Runs 14 or 15 mph into stinking 20 knot wind with big gusts that had been going all night. All systems worked: GPS, Sonar, Baitwell. The little timer on the bait pump kept croaker alive for 24 hours. Had a few hits, broke one off, and got skunked :oops: Didn't fish hard though, mostly played with the boat.

I'll give her a good season to scratch her up more as I learn how to handle her, then do another coat of paint on the hull. With her big keel and 30 horses she doesn't handle like a typical little flats or CC bay boat. She answers the helm in her own good time and then I'd end up over steering.

Needs to practice Dougster

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Nice report Dougster. Sounds like you had a good time. It has been really blowing down here. Hope we can catch some calmer winds for Port O'Connor.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sds »

"to dougster" v : 1: to persevere with forthright effort and ceaseless good humor, 2: to end up with a kick-ass boat.