Texas LB22

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Texas LB22

Post by Cracker Larry »

:D What he said ^^^
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Thanks to everyone for the support. Proud as I am of the build, I have real doubts that I could have seen it through without the help here. In celebration I bought Nina a little present. She was admiring all the Power Poles on the boats in the bay, so, after checking out their cost on line, I bought her a bucket, 50' of line, and a little folding lunch hook :lol: She seems pleased enough with it.

Have boat will travel Dougster

JohnC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JohnC »

Hey Dougster,
Sounds like you and Nina did real well on the sea trial! :D Landing in 20 to 30 knot winds is trial by fire for sure. Don't worry about the paint, those scratches tell a story. BTW, did the cupholder function as designed? :wink:
John

Steven

Post by Steven »

WOOT!! Congrats> That looks fantastic. Hope I can sneak over to the meet to see her. I'm checking out of Port A that Saturday.

Trailering is a pain in the wind. It just takes more speed than you'd like. Have to drive it on fast to overcome the wind but not so fast you drive the winch through the bow. :)

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Yeah she needs more way than I wanted to control the bow. My real problem was docking her though. Lost control and scraped down the dock 3 times. Big long scratch on one side, little one on the other. I'm over it and will scratch a few more times 'til I get the hang of her. Then I'll run another coat of Sterling over the hull sides (and probably scratch that in a week too :roll: ) Sure hope you make it to the meet, but I know how time gets away from you on weekend Port A trips. I'm thinkin' on a day trip to Lake LBJ next week just for a little more "sea" time. Worked on the trailer today, lowering the drive on uprights which were just too dang high and bugged me.

likes summer Dougster

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Doug, I'm extremely stoked to see you have emerged from the construction tunnel, and have such a wonderful boat. You've earned it.

So thoughts from our boat for concerns you have:

She will run bow high with a moderate amount of weight aft. I'd be really curious how much negative trim you can work into her with the outboard. On the Yamaha the pin has to be in the bottom hole at the least, however I pulled the pin completely to get more negative (down) trim when we are light.

Docking on that big, honkin' long keel is an art. Once you get the hang of it, and figure out the timing of throttle and engine position, the thing is an absolute dream at the dock. PLAN AHEAD! Small movements, spend more time out of gear than in, and mess around with putting her in neutral, turning the motor to full lock, and put it back in gear. She will literally work straight sideways doing this when you get the hang of it.

Who cares about scratches man, you did a great job on that boat. Enjoy this summer as much as humanly possible.

E

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

It's great to hear from you Eric, and I sure hope you and family are well. I do see your posts on WB on occasion and enjoyed reading your comments on the lumberyard skiff. You are absolutely one of these forum members who helped me so much early on, especially since you had a Nina skiff thread going for me to follow along. At the moment I am near your neck of the woods, in Packwood, Wa., by Mr. Ranier Natl. Park, getting ready for some day hikes starting tomorrow. We had a beautiful drive in from Seattle today and have a nice cottage rented.

I have had the Nina out once more since the wind struggle on our coast. I picked a nice still weekday on a nearby (30 minutes) lake and Shirley and I had a nice hour run around, mostly up the river, and then some brief time practicing docking. I'm getting better for sure, and love the boat. I have gotten many positive comments on her and people look amazed when they learn she's a home build. Mrs. Dougster loves her plenty, especially the handy cabin and nice smooth ride. Yep, I'm out of the construction tunnel.

Still can't believe it Dougster

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Dougster, I used to teach boat handling of small and large power boats and sail boats. Boats up to 60'. Twin engine sport fishing boats, inboard singles, outboards, whatever. Teaching new owners how to handle and dock them. You think your boat is tough to dock, try putting a 60' sailboat on a travel lift with the wind blowing against the current.

To avoid scratching the boat, don't practice at a solid dock. Anchor out 3 or 4 floats in a line that simulates the dock, in the same orientation to current and wind, Use fenders, gallon jugs, or something and pretend it is the dock. Then when you hit it, it doesn't hurt anything. When possible, approach the dock with either the wind or current against you, whichever is the strongest. Move very slow, as Spokaloo said, shift in and out of gear. If you have to hit something, hit it going very slow. The goal is to stop the boat exactly where you want it, without bouncing off of it. You can learn how to walk that boat sideways just using prop torque to your advantage, don't try to work against nature. You boat almost certainly has a right hand prop. Due to torque, when you put the boat in forward, the stern will move to starboard before it moves forward. When you put it in reverse the stern will move to port before it starts moving back. Use these forces, plus wind and current to advantage. Each boat handles differently, but it just takes a little practice and knowledge of the forces at work. Keep the strongest force ahead of you if possible. Practice on something and somewhere harmless, where nobody is looking, not at a crowded boat ramp on a weekend.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Thanks Larry, I could use a few lessons. 12 years since I've operated a boat and I had no muscle memory at all. I can visualize that shifting to reverse and cranking the wheel to port will pull the stern to port and rotate to bow to starboard, but it takes me a second. Under the pressure of the moment, well, I did the opposite a few times, contributing to the drama of the situation :lol: Your advice about practice is well taken and I'll do a bit every time I go out. You ought to see me try to back her down the ramp 8O I always backed by looking over my shoulder and looking out the rear window. That's a no go with Nina, she's too tall and you need to use your side mirrors. Well, that's the reverse of what I'm used to but I did better the 2nd try :roll: For now it's:

No beer 'till she's back on the trailer Dougster

JohnC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JohnC »

Hey Dougster,
Stole a picture of the flip back in 2009 of the flip for another page. That was a long time ago! Hope you are well.
JohnC