Page 1 of 1

Clearncalm's FS14

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:47 pm
by clearncalm
I think I have successfully created a gallery for my FS14 build. If I'm doing it right the link will follow.

http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=17051

It's not showing up blue, so it may not work. Let's see if it works. If not I'll try again.

I'll be darned if I can figure out how to post a picture to this forum. Any help would be appreciated. :help:

I have a list of lessons learned in my head that I want to share when I have some time.

I've been following the progress of dborecky, muscrat100, and racerrob. I think were all at about the same stage.

[/url]http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=17051[url][/url]

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:58 am
by Dougster
That looks good to me---I like the tip on putting marks on the glass and hull when dry fitting, to help line up later.

Need all the tips I can get Dougster

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:05 am
by chrisobee
Open the gallery in one window and the message you are editing in another.

Go the gallery and right click on the large photo that you want to display in the forum. Select properies.

Highlight the contents of the pictures location. This will include http at the begining and .jpg or .JPG at the end. Right click the highlighted area and select copy.

Return to your message. click the IMG button once. paste in your location click the IMG button a second time.

It is important not to move the cursor with the arrow keys or with a mouse click in between the IMG button clicks

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:59 am
by tech_support
nice and clean job....

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:42 pm
by clearncalm
Testing to see if I have been able to follow chrisobee's instructions correctly on how to post a picture.....

If this works you should see a shot of the bow and a transom shot with the first coat of primer still wet.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:44 pm
by clearncalm
Well I got one right. One more time.

Transom shot.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:46 pm
by clearncalm
Thank you chrisobee. I would have never figured that out on my own.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:42 am
by chrisobee
The message editor is a little twitchy. you have to be consistent in its use to be successful. I'm very pleased that I could help.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:15 am
by MadRus
Hi Clearncalm,

I was reading your images in the gallery. The S3 primer is designed to be sanded almost completely off. It's a high build primer, and very thick with lots of solids by design. To get the most out of it, it should be thick and rolled on, not brushed, in my opinion. Try using a paddle from your kitchen electric beater (or mixer) inserted into your power drill to break up the solids, or you can buy a paint mixing wand from the big box stores. It might not fit well in a quart of primer, but it should fit in a gallon size bucket of paint. This will help you reach maximum density or dynamic equilibrium or whatever you would like to call it... even distribution of the solids within the liquid. Then get a small roller, those four or six inch foam rollers work great. Get it on there thick and then sand it down after it cures, you won't believe how fine it comes out- better than my finished paint job usually.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:40 pm
by clearncalm
I take back what I said bad about the System 3 epoxy primer. It goes on fine when thinned with 50/50 water and alcohol and then rolled with a 6 inch foam roller, just as Madrus said. Just don't try to brush it. It sands incredibly well.

My outside is done except for the finish paint. My boat has been turned right side up, seams and corners are fileted, and tape is down the middle. Waiting on some more epoxy and slow hardener before attempting the big inside glassing.

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:20 am
by gunner
I see you glassed all the way to the rail. Are you doing so on the inside as well? How much more glass and resin did this take. I expect starting mine by Easter. Minus 10 C here this morning. Skiing locally will be done this weekend. Looks like a change to Plus 14 C by tomorrow.

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:28 pm
by clearncalm
I glassed the entire outside since my sides and bottom are fir plywood. I didn't want the plywood to check on the outside. The fir really soaks up resin, so I'm not surprised I'm using a lot more than the 4 1/2 gallons supplied in the kit. It looks like I'll need about 6 1/2 total. I would guess I used maybe 1/2 to 3/4 gallon more on the outside compared to just going 6 inches up the side. There's a lot of plywood on the sides above 6 inches.

Current stage: Two coats of primer on outside, sanded, then two more coats unsanded. Two layers of rubrail on outside. Boat is right side up. Stringers are glassed in. Rear seat frame and mid seat frames are fileted in.

Trying to decide if I want to lower front seat frame by 1 1/2 inches so that I can put two layers of "rubrail" on inside. I don't like the look of the slick inside side panels at the sheer. I think it will look better having two strips on inside and two on outside compared to three on outside.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:01 pm
by racerrob
Clearncalm,

I am building the FS14 right now. reading thru what you're asking about the seat height was what i pondered also. I lowered the front seat/casting deck by 5" so that it could be used as a forward seat and your feet would reach the floor. I didn't like where it came up to gunnel height. I had to modify the seat top to fit , and i put a breastplate in out of doubled 3/8"ply, big enough to mount a nice SS cleat on it. I also shortened the rear seat by about 6" because i felt you couldn't comfortably reach the tiller handle on the outboard with the seat as long as it was. I just got an album started last night, after figuring out why my files kept getting rejected. Its not the file size thats the problem, it was the actual dimensions of my pictures(in pixels) that was too big. I resized the files to max of 1200 pixels each way then everything was cool. Your pics look great and everything looks spot on...

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:01 pm
by pdxmac
Beautiful job with the fiberglass. I just recieved my plans and am getting anxious to start my boat! I am gathering materials to get going, and I am planning on glassing the entire hull as you did here. How many yards of cloth did you end up needing to glass the entire hull? Thanks!!

Aaron

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:22 am
by dborecky
Looking good!! I think everybody will finish way ahead of me.... I hate it when work gets in the way of building. :?

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:46 am
by pdxmac
dborecky wrote:Looking good!! I think everybody will finish way ahead of me.... I hate it when work gets in the way of building. :?
Maybe you should get a cold for a few days.. :D

I'm sure you'll finish before me, I don't even have all of my materials yet!

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:27 am
by jgroves
Clearncalm,
THe pics are great! You keep a clean shop! Keep up the great work. :D
Jeremy Groves