TW28 Luka

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Nice work Peter.

I've got the two original pictures from your previous photo gallery if you want them back. I've also got most of Macca's pics if he ever comes back he can decide if they go back up. A lot of good info in those photos. Sorry I don't have any advice or insight into what it takes to glass a hull of that size. There's been some big boats built here so having a look through the photo galleries might turn up some hints.

Rick
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

How about screwing your roller on the end of a broom or mop handle. It is threaded inside for that purpose.

I've also seen them doing large layups in shipyards and they just climb on the hull and walk on it or in it wearing white rubber boots.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Shaping up quickly! Can we see a picture of you standing near, instead of only your shadow holding the camera? Let your shadow have the real camera and take the picture so you can run over next to the boat and your shadow can take the picture with the real camera... 8)

(long day... :lol: )

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside »

edited : double post
Last edited by TheBroomside on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside »

Let your shadow have the real camera and take the picture so you can run over next to the boat and your shadow can take the picture with the real camera...
Hmm... Building a TW28 seems easier than what you are asking for. I thought the shadow was a nice touch.
they just climb on the hull and walk on it or in it wearing white rubber boots.
I have considered this. Its the white socks that go with the boots that are bothering me. :P

Peter
LUS

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside »

I did upload again the older pictures of the gallery that I deleted accidentally, documenting the first part of the build and showing the full staff of the Leuven United Shipbuilders (somewhere). Next pictures willl be in chronological order again.

Peter
LUS

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside »

Two extra layers of biax at the bow, before glassing the hull and still wondering what will happen when it hits this log one didn't notice.
Covered by a patchwork of peel-ply. The glass was fully saturated - no air trapped, the peel-ply isn't. It looks like a waste to add epoxy to fully saturate the peel-ply. Any reason to do so?

On a different note : I always need to login twice before I can post a picture. No typing errors, it is the PC which remembers the name and password. Not very important, but strange.

Peter
LUS

Deedaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Deedaddy »

TheBroomside wrote:Image
Two extra layers of biax at the bow, before glassing the hull and still wondering what will happen when it hits this log one didn't notice.
Covered by a patchwork of peel-ply. The glass was fully saturated - no air trapped, the peel-ply isn't. It looks like a waste to add epoxy to fully saturate the peel-ply. Any reason to do so?

On a different note : I always need to login twice before I can post a picture. No typing errors, it is the PC which remembers the name and password. Not very important, but strange.

Peter
LUS

Never add epoxy over peel-ply.

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside »

Glassing the keel, multiple layers of heavy glass. It took us one day, working with three persons (everything takes more time than anticipated, but we are not the first to find this out). Wetting the glas (biax) was easier than anticipated. For us foam rollers work best : one pass to wet the surface, then the glass is put on the surface and a little epoxy is applied. After 10 minutes we come back with more epoxy and completely wet the glass, which is then very easy. Just using the foam rollers results in a epoxy/glass ratio of app. 1/1. Also very easy for vertical surfaces.

Peter
LUS

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside »

Update, glassing SB side finished (overhang will be cut before the epoxy is fully polymerized).
No major problems, the 9 oz woven cloth was unexpectedly the most difficult to handle in our hands. Difficult to cut without damaging the cloth (need better scissors), more delicate to hande and more difficult to wet compared to the biax.
Spent app 370 man/hours till now. (I guess app 20% is used packing - unpacking the tools as we do not build at home).

Peter
LUS
http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=660
Last edited by TheBroomside on Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.