TW28 Luka

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: TW28 Luka

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Very nice Peter.

Looks like a lot of fun. We love the canals too! You'd love it here, Rideau Canal, Trent-Severn, Erie Canal just to mention a few.

Cheers Mate!
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Great post, thanks.
Tony

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thank you for the update!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

icelikkilinc
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by icelikkilinc »

Luka still looks like new, well looked after
Thanks for the report Peter, have fun👍
Ilker

TW28 launch: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23369

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

Peter, thank you for the motivational report. TW28 on the sunny side of Alps is aproaching the final phase of build: sanding and fairing, wiring, windows.. The engine is mounted, also tanks, calorifer, everything under sole besides fuel and water lines, but it is not a big deal. Have to build cosy interior, finish my raspberrypi marine computer. Next year painting... Boat should meet water by September next year or so.
My greetings to all TW28 builders and the rest of brilliant Bateau community ... last but not least greetings to our Jacques and his company,
Dario

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Corto Maltese wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:45 pm Peter, thank you for the motivational report. TW28 on the sunny side of Alps is aproaching the final phase of build: sanding and fairing, wiring, windows.. The engine is mounted, also tanks, calorifer, everything under sole besides fuel and water lines, but it is not a big deal. Have to build cosy interior, finish my raspberrypi marine computer. Next year painting... Boat should meet water by September next year or so.
My greetings to all TW28 builders and the rest of brilliant Bateau community ... last but not least greetings to our Jacques and his company,
Dario
I'd love to hear more about the Raspberry Pi computer and how you're integrating it.

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

Barry, at this stage it is a simple set of raspberry pi with nautic oriented linux and openCPN plotter software. The comp is hooked by hdmi on small lcd tv, which serves as a display. The comp has bluetooth dongle for connection with handy wireless keyboard. GPS is connected with usb. No need to be watertight as tw28 helm is inside the cabin. At this moment it is simple and cheap setting (less than 150$), maybe later I can upgrade everything: https://youtu.be/U3ucE3Rx7Tw
There is an extensive thread at Cruisers & Sailing forum.
Cheers,
Dario

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside »

Sixth yearly update on the Luka!
I had to replace the seal of the internal bearing of the shaft. So the Luka was hauled out at a wharf.

After 5 years in the water, it was nice to see that the underwater hull is still in perfect condition. Only new antifouling was needed. I also decided to repaint the hull, as I was rather unhappy with the quality of the paint I originally used. So I decided to leave the Luka in the shed at the wharf for the winter.
It turned out to be a big project, I spent a lot of time sanding the hull, this paint was very difficult to remove.
The new paint was spray paint by a professional and I am quite happy with the result.

I am a still big fan of the TW28 design which perfectly fits our program in Europe, so the Luka proudly carries a TW28 label. Yserbijt is the name of the farmer who generously allowed us to build the Luka in one of his stables for 7 years, he is also honored on the hull.

Then Covid-19 arrived, we decided to stay in Flanders for a 3-week summer tour, the Luka being a perfectly safe small corona-proof bubble for two. This was no big problem, Flanders (approximately the size of Connecticut) has about 860 mi of navigable waterways. Lots of fun: tide rivers (currents up to 4,5 kts) canals (some dating from the 13th century) with all sizes of locks -always a surprise, lift bridges ...
Wherever we navigated, the Luka still always draws a lot of attention, pictures are taken, movies are made.

some pictures:
The canal where our home port is

At the end of the canal: a lock to the canal in the middle, left the Dijle river, right the Zenne river, ahead of the Luka the Rupel river

The Schelde river:

The Dender river

The Moervaart canal

The Port of Antwerp

A family visit underway

In summary: great design, great fun, more TW28 should be build...

I can only repeat myself:
Peter wrote:What happens to all the other builders?
Corto Maltese, Colin, Mike... Any progress? Unknown courageous TW28 builders? I was happy to see a new post by Rick, back at work...

I'll report back next year
Peter
LUS

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Thanks for sharing! Your boat is a masterpiece. :D

What color paint is that?

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside »

Barry wrote:What color paint is that?
Stars and Stripe Blue from Alexseal Topcoat.
You can find the RGB values on their web site.

Peter
LUS