~ ~ ~ S P L A S H ~ ~ ~ Another OB17 launched.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Lucky_Louis wrote: I can say that all the initial fiddling to get the panels right and the careful fairing payed off in spades - no sign of porpoising, no pull left or right, wake is the flattest I've ever seen on a 'v' hull 17' boat and she just jumps onto plane. .
You did a great job on that boat.
Lucky_Louis wrote: 3600 rpm gives nice 25mph cruise and 2.8 gph
:D thats a 2- stroke optimax right :?: Fully loaded cruise at almost 9 mpg

Congratulations

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

It was pretty freaky actually 8O The battle between logic and memory. I had the steering fixed by 9:00 am on Sunday. The other hiccup was the pitot tube connector to the dash mount speedo was disconnected when I hooked up the fuel gauge, guess I forgot to replace it... SWMBO says "hey, there's water running along the floor and I think it's coming from the console" "Impossible" I says... "Must be a little spray"

A little later she says "How come your speedometer isn't working?" "Must be some crap on the pitot tube, doesn't matter, we have GPS and the fishfinder paddlewheel"

It wasn't until I woke up at 4:00 am and put the two together - another d'oh and SWMBO was pretty smug.

The depth sounder through-hull works like a charm. I was getting a clean, unbroken sounding at 35mph down to 450' (wasn't any deeper water).
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Lucky beautiful job, if you only had 2 oh, ohs, I think most of us would be thankful. She really looks great on plane and on the water on that turn.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

Congratulations....Excellent pictures....boat looks really great on the water...

Do you mind if I paint Madmax with similar Graphics....Really love the stripes... :idea:

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Thanks Baba! Of course, you can copy to your hearts content. My goal was to de-emphasize the straight shear line of the OB17. From a practical point of view, this was the perfect design for my boating program and budget but like some others, aesthetically I preferred the 'classic' shear line of the C17, C19, C21 and now the FS17. The graphic was my solution and thankfully it seems to have worked out. Because my building area was so tight, I could never stand back and see the 'big' picture. Now I can see that I should have rounded the corners of the transom graphic to match the sides. Oh well, maybe when I build my Otter 16 or the TW35 :wink:

SHINE: Yes, the engine is the Optimax 1.5 liter HPDI 2-stroke in the 75hp configuration. The same engine comes as a 90hp and a 115hp.... hmmmm 8) The fuel consumption numbers are touted to at least 18% better than a comparable 4 stroke at most throttle ranges except WOT.

As an aside, I noticed the tach at 4200 rpm in the shot (can't quite read the GPS numbers). This means we're doing around 32 mph in a 1' chop. That's my 220lb son up front sitting the casting deck. Notice any spray? Me neither :D

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Lucky_Louis wrote:I preferred the 'classic' shear line of the C17, C19, C21 and now the FS17.
'alo again,

Talking about the side, would you mind telling me what the distance between your chine and gunwhale is at, say, frame "C"?

I'm trying to imagine the differences between your boat and mine (apart from a cabin, that is)...

No hurry, when you have the time.

Tim.

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

Don't you think 44 MPH is a little too fast? :D
That's a very nice looking boat from all angles. All of the thought put into the accessories and console really paid off, too. Everything looks so coordinated and integrated. Fine job on a fine boat :!:
CC, D15, V10

BillTwo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BillTwo »

Lucky_Louis wrote: As an aside, I noticed the tach at 4200 rpm in the shot (can't quite read the GPS numbers). This means we're doing around 32 mph in a 1' chop. That's my 220lb son up front sitting the casting deck. Notice any spray? Me neither :D

Lucky,

As you can imagine, I'm drooling right now. 8)

I love the layout of your console - not cluttered and all the displays in the right place. One thing that I might add though, a Marine Compass.

Your boat exemplifies what I want my boat to look like on the water and how it should look on a trailer out of the water.

Words alone can not describe the joy of seeing the boat type that I'm building to be built and launched by a "Quality" builder such as yourself. Now I have a goal to shoot for. Great layout, great paint job, great overall build Lucky. Next, great fishing. I did hear you say you were installing "down-riggers"?

Wobbly, you're next! :)

Billtwo :D

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Thanks for the kind words Bill. I hadn't forgotton it, I wear my Sunto compass around my neck on a string along with a nice whistle and a small signalling mirror 8)

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Louis,
Great looking boat. I have been following the threads on your build and CONGRATS!! on getting her splashed. Nice and clean lines,k great paint and excellent layout of the deck space. GREAT JOB :!:

Enjoy!!

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand