~ ~ ~ S P L A S H ~ ~ ~ Another OB17 launched.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Sorry Tom, we cross-posted. Of course I don't mind. My distance may be different :lol: ...after all, aren't the plans more of a 'rough guideline'? Just kidding...

I think I'm going with scuppers into the bilge and add a manual pump to my 1100gph electric one. At rest, the aft sole is a good 2" above the water but in a slop, I'm betting water would be coming in (and out) side scuppers regularly. If I can find them, I would like to add outside draining scuppers with the watertight covers which can be removed for added insurance, especially when running in a following sea.
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JimW »

Really looks great Louis! You did a lot of the same things I did. Same steering wheel, same bright wood cockpit coming and motorwell bulkhead top edge.

I really like the way the boat looks. Name looks very integrated with the paint graphics.

Great job!
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Thanks Jim, you and your C19 were one of my main inspirations. You forgot my colour choice copied yours too :lol: I think I started my build within weeks of you splashing yours.

I suspect a bimini may be in our future as well. The August sun can get pretty mean while a bit of shelter from the inevitiable NW drizzle would be welcome too.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Lucky for safety's sake please do not run your scuppers into the bilge, even Jacque has said this, Knottybouzy has I believe said this, I think you get the point. It is just plain extremely dangerous, batteries and pumps fail, seas get bigger than pumps can handle. I would get the type with flapper valves run them through the stern with 1 1/2" PVC and have a plug or screw on fitting to close them off if you need to. Two on each side will handle everything a 17' should encounter.

A concerned friend, Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

WobblyLegs:
Talking about the side, would you mind telling me what the distance between your chine and gunwhale is at, say, frame "C"?
Frame "D" 24" from top of gunwale to top of spray rail (spray rail follows chine on the bottom edge of the side panel)

Frame "C" 24.5"

Frame "B" 25.5"

TomW:
Lucky for safety's sake please do not run your scuppers into the bilge
Scuppers into the bilge isn't 'unsafe' per se, every boat without a self-bailing cockpit does this. I will be backing up the electric pump with a manual pump, and when I can find them, a pair of sealable scuppers. I've had them before, just can't seem to find any online. When running in rough conditions and we eat the occasional greenie, you just pop out the plugs and the cockpit drains normally through the sides, when you slow down to troll or stop to jig, you pop the plugs in to stop the water from slopping back in and getting the sole wet. I've got the flappered scuppers but I'm not convinced they'll work all that well.

Thanks for the concern Tom, but don't worry! I'm not called Lucky for nuttin' and besides, she unsinkable with 8 cu.ft. of pour in foam and every other nook and cranny stuffed with styrofoam.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

OK Lucky, its that I know of to many of those non-self bailers that went down before the CG required the foam when the bilge pumps failed.

Go to it but, I still won't like it.

Tom

PS. The scuppers with flaps only really work on the stern or on a straight up and down surface. They should be closed when the boat is sitting at rest or only slightly open if they are designed right.
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Another pic from our maiden salt water voyage. Here's the ultimate restoration project...

YOGN 82 was one of 22 unpowered B7 A2 barges built by Concrete Ship Constructors of National City, California and launched in 1944.
Now that would take some epoxy and glass to fix. 8)

Full story on these interesting old concrete ladies HERE

And I added a few more splash day pics to my GALLERY

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

Great looking build Lucky! I like the paint work it certainly softens the straight look of the sheer line. I am putting in a seat box behind the console of my od16 and I am interested to know how far you set your seat back from the console? Like you I plan to sit while at the helm but still have room to stand if need be.
Great boat, enjoy

Richard

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Hi Richard, funny you should ask...

Image click for FULL SIZE

When I had my launch day 'steering mishap', I had to pull the seat to gain easy access to the steering hub, breaking the fresh SikaFlex caulk that I'd just put down the day before. When I replaced the seat, I actually moved it back another 4-5" to gain some room. Right now it is 19" console to seat face but the seat overhangs the the box by 2" so it's actually 17" at seat height.

Imageclick for FULL SIZE

Hope that helped. You can see the deck texture pretty well too. When the seat is in leaning post configuration, there are a couple of filler blocks that hold the seatback in a forward lock.
Last edited by Lucky_Louis on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

That's right on time. I was wondering how the icebox turned out. Meant to ask yesterday. The whole boat looks so fine you should get a blue ribbon or something. :D
CC, D15, V10