PK78 Ready for Sail

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

I have been known to make a 270° turn to accomplish a 90° gybe downwind.
Phew! Well, maybe I'm wrong gk, and we should get together and write a new page for the sailing handbook. The Quick Jibe and the Long Jibe(?) :)

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

I'll have to include the account of the infamous "Hat Overboard" drill last year. It was a successful drill if taken in the context of the aviators axiom, any safe landing is one you can walk away from. We retrieved the hat. About 9 miles of sailing and motoring after it went overboard. :roll:
CC, D15, V10

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

:lol: :lol: That reminds me of that video of the guy who just dives off a boat going what looked like 35+ mph to retreive the hat that just blew off his head. Have you seen that footage?

Q
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Q »

MadRus wrote: I've had the tiller handle jacked right out of the boat to port or starboard and she just wouldn't get moving. It kept pulling in the wrong direction. I'd let off and she'd actually straighten out and start moving, so I'd reef it over to turn and it would just kill the boat.
...Sounds to me like you've discovered how to "heave to".....

...and possibly how to "dump the wind"! Two methods I use on Surprise, in the case of a larger gust, pointing her into the wind will "luff" the sail. Or, for a quick dumping of the wind, I can just ease off the tension on the main (in your case, let go of the sheet)
I now know without a doubt or hesitation why the chicken crossed the road.....

....it was to show the armadillo it could be done.

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Hi Q,

That's what I thought is sounded like I was doing, although I forget the actual definition of "heave to". But yeah, basically, I've discovered how to position the boat with sail and rudder working against each other to go nowhere. I also like to call it, "how not to sail". Whoopie! :(

Now I just have to get good at the other skills, you know the sailing skills.

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

I may be taking her up to Maine this weekend, to the camp, so I'll be able to get some motion pics and hopefully some video of her. It should be fun.

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

You're starting to sound like a sailor! Sounds like your having fun. I need to try that some day. I may build something we can throw on the pop-up camper. What does your rigged PK weigh?

I just returned from a weekend in Harrison ME. We spent Saturday goofing around on Sebago. Beautiful area!

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Hey Dan,

I'm not sure, but she's built heavy with 6oz glass on the bottom and up the sides for scratch resistence. I'll have to give it a good weighing some day, but I'd say, with the wheel contraption attached, it's in the neighborhood of 75lbs.

You have to try it. It's a hoot right now, but I hope, with a little practice, I'll become good enough to step up to a sharpie or possibly one of my other favorites- the cat boat, the Caravelle, the cat ketch or, let me sneak this in, an Arch Davis Penobscot 17.

How's the Penn Yan? Any progress photos available?

Our camp is in Raymond, on Raymond Pond, maybe 15 minutes from the Rt. 121/302 intersection of Sebago- Eastern part of the lake.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

My wife and I have a Mirror Dingy the first of the stich and glue boats. She has a cat rig and a spinnaker and will absolutely fly but watch out she will also dump you.

I love her but I hate her as she is a fickke lady of the sea so we must handle all our lady's and treat them with the respect they deserve and let the winds they want to follow take us to our ports of where our loved ones are.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

kmccullum
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by kmccullum »

Yep, that sounds like you are stalling the boat with the rudder. Not hard to do with such a small boat. Give it a few outings and you'll be a pro. The PK78 doesn't have enough weight to carry any momentum out of the tack. It basicly comes close to a stall and then zips up to speed when it catches wind. But if the rudder isn't straight, it never has a chance to get the speed back. You loose a little but once you get the hang of it you'll know when to pull the rudder back.

I'll offer another little piece of advice which I learned the hard way. When you are in heavy weather it's hard to come about if your weight is dead center or forward. Like when you are sitting on the middle seat. The boat tends to go into irons in these situations. I found that if I leaned my body towards the stern, the boat would turn much faster and wouldn't go into irons. I got rather good at this when sailing in 20+ knot winds. In light wind it helps a little too.

Have fun!

Kurt