Cost of Sterling

sterling L.P. topcoats and primers
TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Cost of Sterling

Post by TomW »

Shine what is the true cost of a gallon of Sterling. You have the Base paint I'm using Cream at 261.02 then brush converter, then catalyst, is there any thing else. How much for the converter, and catalyst if needed per gallon. It looks to me to be at $4-500 per gallon is this true.

Why is Sterling so much more than others. Is it really that much better. My accounting backgrond in an another life is rearing its ugly head. The literature at Sterling was no better than anywhere else, it just makes me wonder.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Its about the same as awlgrip or other 2 part PU, I bet we are probably the least expensive dealer of Sterling anywhere.

You need the paint (some of the colors are double the cost of the whites), you need catalyst, and some reducer.

If anyone ever finds a cheaper way to get that level of finish, please let me know - I will jump all over it. We keep our eyes open all the time for new products (we are off to IBEX in a couple months for a week of product research/learning).

Deedaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Deedaddy »

One gal of base plus one gal of catalyst equals two gals of paint. You need to divide the total cost by 2 to get cost per gal.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I'm certain that Joel will beat any Awlgrip or Imron price.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

I am still not sure I am getting an answer that I want.

What makes Sterling better than Interlux Perfection or System 3 WR-LPU, since you list both.

Cost per Gallon System 3 117.00
Interlux 170.00
Sterling ? This would include paint 1 gal @ 261.32 and catalyst ? gal @ ?, I can't tell from your price list how much catalyst 2964 is needed and it lists only 1/2 gallons. I can do the division to get cost per gallon.

Thanks

Tom
Last edited by TomW on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Its harder, more gloss, more durable

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I found a good short text about the different types of paint.
We should post that at Boat Builder Central:
http://www.answers.com/topic/paints-1

Interlux Perfection cost $ 200.00 a gallon (discount seller Defender) but it is not a Linear PolyUrethane.

S3 is a Water Reducable LPU that does not have as much gloss.

Of all the paint we have tested, 3 LPU's stick out for gloss and hardness: Awlgrip, Imron and Sterling.
Of those three, Sterling is the best suited for an amateur. It can be applied by brush and is much more user friendly than the others. I think it has more gloss but it is difficult to tell.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Deedaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Deedaddy »

TomW wrote: I can't tell from your price list how much catalyst 2964 is needed and it lists only 1/2 gallons. I can do the division to get cost per gallon.

Thanks

Tom
This will likely help you.

Begin by mixing 2 parts of your L.P. Topcoat color of choice with 1 part of the Sterling Brushing Catalyst (Part No. U-2964). Make sure to scrape the sides of your mixing container ensuring complete consistency. Now set the mixed L.P. Topcoat aside (put a lid and/or rag on top of the mixing container) for 30 minutes. "Induction time" again. After the 30 minutes, re-stir the catalyzed material and reduce for roller/ brush application with Sterling U-2965 Brushing Thinner. You can add up to 35% of your total catalyzed mixture with the U-2965 (2: 1: 1). Billingsley refers to this reduction ratio as "dead-on". However, he does suggest that you may need to add more U-2965 Brushing Thinner to your mixture as the job progresses in increments the size of the cap on the can of the brushing thinner. For example: mix 4 oz. L.P. Topcoat, 2 oz. U-2954 Brushing Catalyst, 2 oz. U-2965 Brushing Thinner and if need be add 1 cap-full of U-2965. The working pot of the L.P. Topcoat is 4-5 hours @ 77ºF. & 50% R.H. You can expect to get approximately 300 square feet out of each gallon kit of L.P. Topcoat. (1 gallon of L.P. Topcoat color of choice + half-gallon of U-2964 Brushing Catalyst + half-gallon of U-2965 Brushing Thinner = 300 square feet.)

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

in the detailed product description of all the topcoats its says mix at 2/1 ratio with catalyst.

http://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetai ... D_U1001_QT

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Thanks Deedaddy and Shine.

That ends this.

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy