OB17 some assembly required

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

:D
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

JIM M
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JIM M »

Last edited by JIM M on Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OB17

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

1. Haven't decided how much if any of the spray rail will be graphite so if I coat the whole rail with graphite will S3 yacht primer be opaque enough to hide the graphite if I decide I want the rails painted?
Probably OK if you are prepared to add enough coats. If I was unsure, I would tend to go the other way - don't graphite the area and add it later if I changed my mind.
2. Will the graphite bond well after sanding with 80 grit paper or should I use a coarser paper ?
Absolutely, it's epoxy! Remember that the graphite is really epoxy with graphite powder added. It's still mostly epoxy and bonds well with darn near everything. Depending on your epoxy brand and speed of hardener, you may need to be aware of amine blush. Sanding can compound it by grinding the blush into the surface being prepped. To be sure, I always got in the habit of washing before sanding with a solution of clear water with a splash of vinegar in it.

JIM M
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JIM M »

Last edited by JIM M on Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OB17

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

Looking good :!:
I want to put a strip of graphite down the middle of my V10 and I've been trying to figure out the sequence for that. It looks like I'll put on primer, then graphite the middle, then mask it off and paint the topcoat.
When I put it on my D15, I just rolled it right over the fairing compound. If it sticks to itself, it will stick to about anything else.
CC, D15, V10

JIM M
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JIM M »

OB17

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

You'll get a better finish sanding using your fairing boards and it will keep you from having any high or low spots that you might have from using the RO. Just use a light pressure on them and you'll be fine. If you don't have paper for them than still go the hand route with as large a block as you can. This is going to determine your final finish. Do a light spray with a quick drying spray paint(black or red work best) when you sand this will show you any high or low spots real fast and you can then add QF where needed or sand down any high spots. Then reapply a primer coat.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

JIM M
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JIM M »

OB17

JIM M
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JIM M »

Last edited by JIM M on Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OB17

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Beautiful Jim, just beautiful.

Way nicer than mine turned out :wink: