P19 rolled in Austin

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

Hmmm, that's curious.

thanks, for the clue.

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

I managed to get the sole pieces fitted into the P19 and no longer have to stumble all over the stringers. I am not sure how you other guys get your foam compartments to look so nice, but I am happy to cover mine up.

The gas tanks proved to be a bit of a problem. I didn't warm up much to the thought of putting large holes near the top of the port-side stringers for the feed lines, but tanks thin enough to move the holes to middle of the stringers would be rather small. Also, the tirade that BoatUS published on aluminum tanks didn't make them sound too attractive. I bought two poly 25 gal tanks and had many second thoughts. Trying to get the poly tanks restrained while allowing for lots of thermal expansion took awhile. They also had a rather inconvenient filler geometry. A decent solution seemed to be to run the gas lines in plywood tunnels above the sole at bulkheads C and F.

The port and starboard sides of the sole were glassed together and fit to the hull. They might have been OK as is, since I had not added epoxy to the top yet, but they did seem to have a little too much give, especially over the 20" span above the tanks. I added 12 oz fabric to bottom of all the areas that will get the biggest loads.

Time to watch a little football.

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

I uploaded a few more pictures to the gallery to show I hadn't quit work. I should be able to glue the deck onto the frames of the P19 this week. I was very gratified to see how well the pre cut bed panels dropped into position on the front cabin, indicating I must have the hull shape fairly close. However, I will need to cut new deck panels for the bow. I did not hold the shape near the rub rail that Jacques intended, probably because I was working so close to the floor when the hull was inverted. I continue to be impressed with how robust the design is with regard to structure. Eveyone who looks at the boat comments on the stiffness of the hull.

I got one little surprise last week. I will be about 1" too high to finish the cabin in my garage. As a result I will be buying a trailer soon as well.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

A big boy by 1". Good thing to find out now! Man you're movin' faster than I am. I'd love to pick your brain on the tank thing, as I got that comin' and don't know squat. Right now I'm thinkin' on copying your roll over frame thing, as my next flip is comin'. Need a band of brothers or a cowboy to turn the thing. I can't figure your chain hoist thingy yet. It's sure fun to see this going on right down the road from me in Blanco :D .

Believin' in Texas know-how Dougster

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

Now that the deck is on the P19, all except the rear hatches, it is beginning to look more like a boat. There are a few more pictures in the gallery. I ordered an aluminum trailer last week and will put a deposit down on a 90hp, E-tec this morning.

I figured out I could do all of the cabin except the roof while still in the garage so I have modified the assembly a little to take advantage of the cover as long as possible.

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

The P19 is just about ready to roll again, right out of the garage onto a trailer. I was able to assemble all but the highest eight pieces of plywood in the garage. The rest of the boat is nearly ready to mount the motor, but isn't going to get to the dealer until I see the trailer. The cabin has some primer, except for bare patches that have been left to allow epoxy bonds around the windshield and roof supports. Need to wait a couple more days to paint the sole and sidewalls to be sure any blush is out of the epoxy. I'll leave the inside of the cabin unfinished until I get some time on the water. I should be able to get some better pictures when I am outside. With a little luck we will be launching on Thanksgiving.

Daniel Huckleberry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Daniel Huckleberry »

WOW 8O You are really tearing through that thing! Nice work.

Huck

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Nice eric you are doing a great job.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

Thanks for the encouragement guys. This is my fifth stitch and glue boat but by far the largest. For those that are interested, I figure I am at about 350 hours about now, plus a lot of shopping and thinking on the side. It should take about 50 hours more to have a "legal" boat, although I will probably never stop tinkering. This is a little more than Jacques estimated but well within my expectations.

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

The P19 is now out of the garage and waiting for me to add the roof and finish the cabin. I thought the move from the skid to the trailer would be a real problem, but after I jacked the front of the skid I was able to just winch it onto the trailer in less than a minute. Now that it is out in the sunlight I can see every little imperfection in the hull, but at least it looks OK from a distance.