P19 rolled in Austin

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

D2,

We will be heading out in all directions from our cottage on the east side of Vinalhaven. One place, in particular, I am sure to be is watching the wooden boat races on Eggemoggin Reach on Aug 2nd. I am sure we can hook up sometime on one trip or the other.

UncleRalph
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by UncleRalph »

ericsil,

Your boat looks great. Nice attention to detail on the pilothouse interior. Do you have a better picture of your porta-potty arrangement. The porta-potty under the v-berth, like I currently have in my boat, is pain.

Ralph

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Have to consult with SWMBO on the potty, definitely worth considering. My wife's pretty good about bucket use, but what she had really wanted was a small dinette table (like we had in the RV). Without the portapotty under the bunk filler, the bunk filler could be a tabletop after the cushion is removed. We're mostly day cruising, the table might be of more use for us. Might just designate the co-pilot seatbox to hide the honey bucket, which gets emptied after each use anyhow - it would be closer to the gunnel (hey, I'm fishing over the Marianas trench, not Lake Powell). Rig a privacy curtain like Ericsil's, she would like that.

Uncle Ralph, just went and admired all your finished photos again, I'm getting to the point now where I can start to at least think about what the finished product will look like! Lots of good ideas on yours, although mine will be workboat finish not show finish. :D

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

Uncle Ralph, This is a good time to thank you for building the HM. My wife took one look a couple years ago and wanted one for herself. I needed to switch to the V-hull, but that's what started the build. It is so much nicer when Mama is on board.

The porta potty under the seat is about as simple as it gets. There is just enough room to hinge the seat so it will tilt up against the wall. Then a couple of little doors gives access to the throne. Doing it again, it would be better to change the doors to a small bifold that opens towards the port side. The lip on the seat captures the doors when it is in the down position, so the latch is not really necessary. I still haven't figured out where to mount the toilet paper roll.

Chicago, When you say use the panel over the potty for a table, I assume you mean out the back. It is mighty tight in there if you want leave any room to sleep. Thanks to the pilot house, it is very easy to cover the back of the boat with a tarp and play cards under it should you wish.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Ericsil, thanks for the pics. I had already told my wife what you had done and she liked the idea, the pics make it easier! I was thinking of trying to use one piece of the bunk fillers for a table in the cabin during the day - if sleeping, both filler pieces would be at bunk level and cushioned. I'll think more about whether there's enough room, looks like I won't be able to sit up in the cabin once its roofed, but my 5'2" wife and the kids could. I'll be sitting in the driver's seat anyway. Thanks again for the ideas!

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

I took the P19 to the scales this morning to see where I stood on weight. I thought it might be useful to the guys now involved in building some of its cousins.

The boat, as it floats in the above photos, checks in at 2200 lbs, about 3/4" deeper than the DWL. Adding up all the components on the boat, including gas, motor, batteries, etc, etc, I get 810 lbs of stuff. Thus, the dry weight of the hull, cabin and consols must be about 1390 lbs. I then added up the weight of the plywood, the epoxy, the fiberglass, the foam and the cleats. The total materials weight resulted in a figure of 1370 lbs. That's close enough for my curiosity for sure.

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

All those cups of sticky epoxy and the gallons of dust are a distant memory now. The drive to Maine was quite uneventful, except for the fill ups at the pump. We have had a chance to explore a little around Vinalhaven and can report that the boat is performing just like I had hoped. It is nice to have the ability to travel around the island even when the seas are a little choppy. We will be heading out for some longer excursions soon.

I would send lots of pictures, but I am bandwidth challenged for the summer on a dialup connection. Meanwhile, here is one reason you build a boat.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Im very interested in hearing more about you Maine trip. This is something I would like to do. Nice picture :)

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine »

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Ah yes those beautiful islands. Enjoy your trip. Deb and I took several trips up along the coast when we lived in Boston. That is one of the prettiest parts of this very large country. Each part of it with something special.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy