New System Three Yacht Primer

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

New System Three Yacht Primer

Post by tech_support »

System Three has changed their epoxy high build primer. I have tested the new primer several times in the last week. Here are my impressions:

- much higher build in 1 coat (this is now a true "high build" primer)
- cures much quicker. :!: Now we can paint in one day, no more waiting for the primer to cure for a week before top coat :)
- its still water reduced and clean up is super simple
- opaqueness: one coat covers completely :D :!:

There is an induction time of 15 minutes. After mixing, you let it set for 15 minutes before application. I noticed this made a big difference. If you roll it on without waiting the full 15 minutes, there tends to be air bubbles left behind. If you give it the full induction time - it lays out very well.

The only downside I see is that the primer is only available in light gray (no more white)

The new primer will be available in November, in the mean time, we still have the WR155 in stock.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Sounds good to me Shine a Light Gray will provide a good background for almost any finish color. So that should not be a problem, except bright white and since two coats are recommended I don't think that will be a problem.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I looked at Joels' test this morning and it is more white than gray, let's call it off-white or very light gray.
It looks like an excellent all purpose color but I agree with everything else Joel writes, it is a major improvement, a real good primer.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob »

Discounts on current inventory of WR-155? :D

Deedaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Deedaddy »

When you get it in stock I want to try spraying it. I have sprayed other high build primers with good results. May need to remove strainer from gun like I have done with some brands.

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

Bayport_Bob wrote:Discounts on current inventory of WR-155? :D

It never takes long for the opportunists to pop up. :D
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Bayport_Bob wrote:Discounts on current inventory of WR-155? :D
Maybe :) I have to see how long its going to take to get the new primer on the shelf. (Expect System Three prices will be going up slightly before the end of the year) The new primer will be priced very close to the old WR155.
When you get it in stock I want to try spraying it. I have sprayed other high build primers with good results. May need to remove strainer from gun like I have done with some brands.
They (S3) told me that the new primer will spray much better. Better spraying was one of the goal going into the re-development

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob »

Joel,

Please post when the new Yacht Primer is available. I need to order a gallon of WR155 or the new stuff. I prefer to try the new if it shows up soon.

Thanks! - Bob

o-show
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by o-show »

Joel, do you have an ETA on this stuff and estimates of pricing? I should be done fairing in a couple of weeks. ( I hope )

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I have posted the new primer to BBC, but it is not yet in stock.

It has been ordered and I would expect it to be on the shelf in a couple weeks (Max)

Its more expensive than the old WR155, which we always sold well below the MSRP. Compared to other epoxy high build primers, its priced lower