New System Three Yacht Primer

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
bccelizabeth
New Poster
New Poster

Re: New System Three Yacht Primer

Post by bccelizabeth »

Is this suitable for TEAK ?

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Yes but why would you want to cover up teak with a white primer. You'll need to sand it first and then apply right after sanding.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

How soon do I need to sand the final coat of primer?

Or better yet, will it be to hard to sand a few months after application? I'm trying to wait and sand to 220 just before I'm ready to spray my topcoat.

Thanks
Daniel

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Daniel, I waited a year to sand mine, for the same reason. No problem to sand it.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

I have primer on the Mirror I won't sand till summer.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Some of the primer, I sanded two or three years later. :lol: It was no problem. What you don't want to do is apply topcoat too soon and get mudcracking from moisture still in an unstable primer coat. I think the minimal time I waited in some areas was two weeks for the primer to cure... except for the cuddy deck... too soon. Mudcracks in the corners, but the primer felt fully cured and sanded well. In fairness, it could also be because I painted the topcoat on the cuddy deck in a tent in a downpour during a nor'easter. But it sure flowed nicely. :lol: But maybe too well... into the corners. I still would have prefered to let that primer cure two weeks and not had the nagging question haunt me. But I was younger then and in a rush. :lol: I suppose if you rolled the primed hull out into dry Arizona summer sun to cure, you might be able to sand and paint the next day. But in a cooler wetter climate, you may need to wait that full two weeks and help it with some work lights. I think the app notes say about a week, and clarify some environmentals, but I haven't looked at them in awhile.

Enjoy prepping for the big milestone. :)

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

That's what I was hoping to hear guys.

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

I put a coat of primer on the bottom of my XF20 on Friday night. Mixing, application, curing all went well. I used a foam roller, though, and it didn't do a real good job of filling in some of the pinholes. In my opinion, it also went on rather thin. I'm going to put the second coat on today, but use an close nap roller...just like the application guide says :roll: Hope to do Top Coat next weekend.

Question:
The first coat of primer went on REAL smooth, and there aren't any paint lines, drips, etc. The application guide says to sand with 220 after 72 hours, but if I put the second coat of primer on within 48 hours, do I still need to sand?

seth
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Seth, most of us put on 3 coats before we do any sanding.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

As Larry says, you will need 3 coats or more to give you enough thickness to sand & give yourself a fighting chance of not breaking through. If you can push your thumb into it, & no primer comes of onto your thumb, it is dry enough to recoat.
A tip if I may, after 2-3 days drying it will sand like a dream.......after a week it's a lot harder.
Steve