Lane's P21

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Lane's P21

Post by Dog Fish »

Yes, land is disappearing everywhere. I live in SW, FL now and its the same story here. I joined a off road club about 10 years ago ( http://www.floridatrailriders.org/ ) so I could still ride, we have fun camping, building race tracks and riding on private property. I had to give up on the racing , I am to old and beat up for that anymore.
I was riding in that pit the day a dune buggy went over a 20' mound in the middle of the pit when a guy on a dirt bike was coming up the other side, it killed him. Bad day.

I am going to go back to doing a lot more fishing, some of the best fishing this country has to offer is out my back door, I might as well take advantage of it. Lot's easier on the body too. Image

You have done an outstanding job on your boat so far, keep up the good work, and I will keep an eye Image on the rest of your build." Lots of Pics."

Brian Image

fastlane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fastlane »

Hey folks. A big update this time.

I put a couple of coats of bottom paint on the boat. I didn't top coat it yet that will happen down the road some time. but for now the bottom is covered and I'll bring the water line up once its painted and i get it wet. I built a cradle around the boat and lifted it off the frame and braced it up real good inside and out. Then we rolled it in the garage. It was a tight fit but after i took down some junk hanging from the ceiling it went without a hitch. I have a 10 ft high ceiling in the shop so we used a cum along and just jacked it up and let her down rite side up. I have to tell you..after working on this for 2 years and contemplating about this moment ever day it turned out to be a piece of cake!!.

I have completed taping the the inside up and the next step is to put the glass down on the inside. I had to take a break for a while because my wood allergy really got the best of my after i finished crawling around the inside while taping. Of all things to be allergic to it has to be the dam wood!!. Cant wait to seal this sucker up with some epoxy and start the rest of the build.

some picks

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Hey Fastlane,
Good to see you have been making some excellent progress and congratulations on the flip!

Stay off the wood!

Joe
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

Jaap
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jaap »

Fantastic! The boat looks very clean on the outside, good luck with the work on the inside.

jaap

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Good to see your back at it. How much do you think the boat weighed when you flipped it :?:
I am going to flip my boat pretty much the same way. I had two lifting eyes installed with a
strong back in my celing joist's. Just moved to this area so its pretty much just me and my 13 year
old son going to flip it.
Novi 23 finally launched !

fastlane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fastlane »

Topwater,

its hard to say how much it weighed. 3-400 lbs? maybe. me and a friend were able to lift it off the jug completely without too much fuss. I used a 1/2 ton chain hoist and i didn't even feel any resistance at all when rolling it over!. it was lighter then a lot of motors i yanked with it. I ran a piece or roll bar tubing 1 7/8 tube over 4 jousts and they never made a squeak. i had some chains and stopped every 6 " to chain it up to the celling by the cradle just to be safe. once it was up sideways we just tilted it over and lowered it down.
topwater wrote:Good to see your back at it. How much do you think the boat weighed when you flipped it :?:
I am going to flip my boat pretty much the same way. I had two lifting eyes installed with a
strong back in my celing joist's. Just moved to this area so its pretty much just me and my 13 year
old son going to flip it.

fastlane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fastlane »

Howdy folks.

Since we flipped the hull i have been able to get the inside taped and the cloth down. I made a jig for the stringers and have them aligned and glued in a few spots. The weather has been really hot here, in the mid upper 90's for a few days and the shop gets up over 100. i think i'll take a break for a while and do some fishing. We are putting my Mako in the slip today so it will be nice to get back on the water in a boat that floats :).

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

looking good. As you probably have found, you have to trim the frames and stringers a little to get them back in after you add the inside tape and wide cloth.

fastlane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fastlane »

Thanks Joel

The stringers fit pretty well. i had to trim them up by the bow a bit to fit the curve. I went a bit aggressive on one of them but nothing some epoxy filet wont fix. The frames weren't too bad. they will need a bit of a trim to fit rite.

I tabbed the stringers in with some fillets. I made a small batch of filler using the ez-fillet but that stuff went off like a bomb in the heat.
finished tabbing with with some silvertip and wood flower. Maybe i'm crazy but i think its easier to make my own then use the pre-mix.

fastlane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fastlane »

well its been a while so its time for an update. I've been making slow progress on the P21. My severe wood allergy has been
a real drag. The precautions i have to take really are slowing down the build but its moving along. All the frames and stringers are done. the fuel tanks are installed and today i finished gluing the motorwell.

I built a floor for the tanks out of 1/2 ply. some small frames with 2 layers tape and covered in 12oz biax cloth. its real stiff. i added some blocks to make it real snug fit.

the tanks are twin 30 gallon. I had them custom made by speedy tanks here in NJ. they did a great job at a reasonable price. Nice people to deal with also. I bonded some neoprene strips and blocks with 5200 and set them in. the fit real nice. i'm going to put some neoprene strips on top and glass in some supports to totally box them in.

the rear tank is inside the motorwell.

frame f and the motorwell side all aligned and ready to glue.

Next i have to glass the motorwell and frame a,b&c. then finish up the tank plumbing and work on getting the sole figured out.