vagabond cb-trunk and launching

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Matthias
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matthias »

Hello builders, I must made some bad experiences with my centerboard-trunk. I have build this box too simple or witout the necessary concentration. This trunk lies mostly under the weaterline and so it must be absolutly waterproofed and rigid enough. I tried to launch twice and water dripped through little fissures into the boat. My mistake! I did not build rigid fg-seams, i only glued the trunk with epoxy-putty. While installing the keel the trunk got stress and so little fissures developed - so I think about.<BR>Now I reinforce the trunk and the edges with new fg-seams.<BR>I did also another mistake: I installed the inspektion plate not high enough. It should be completely over the waterline. I ´ll change this too.<BR>
Matthias Krebs

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JimW »

All other sailboat builders! Please learn from this. There is no place to skimp on fiberglass near the centerboard trunk! This could have been disasterous. The worst part of this is it could have been ok until you were really sailing hard in rough conditions then it would let go at the worst possible time. Matthias is lucky he discovered this now and not later. Putty is very hard but the real (dynamic) strength comes entirely from the glass saturated with plastic resin. <BR>Jim Wright
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Matthias, if you don´t assemble keel and hull as we specify, you may loose the keel! Do not take shortcuts there.<BR>See the notes: first the framing inside of the keel, then the thickness of the fairbody plate (upper side), then the keel bolts through the floor frames. After that, we specify to fiberglass all the inside seam. <BR>Done that way, outside fiberglassing of the seam is not necessary but can not hurt.<BR>If the keel moves (bad sign), check things in this order and correct:<BR>- is the keel built as specified? If not, remove the bolts, remove the keel and reinforce, probably with outside fiberglass layers. It must be a very strong, one piece unit.<BR>- did you use the right floor frames and keel bolts? if not, correct.<BR>- did you fiberglass the inside seam after installation?<BR>- did you use 3M 5200 or equivalent Sikaflex between keel and hull?<BR><BR>Don´t try to fix just the cracks: the cracks are a sign that something is missing from the structure.<BR>Even if you ommitted the fiberglass inside as you say and used epoxy putty instead of 5200, it should not move. <BR><BR>Let´s keep in touch and tell us more: it is possible to fix it.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

tersane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tersane »

Hello Matthias.<BR>First: congratulations for launching.<BR>After: I am worry about dropping water in your boat. I am sure, you will repair it with help of Jacques..<BR>I had build steel CB ballast. I had installed it with silicone mastic.<BR>It was leaked very little only two bolts. I applyed pres to nuts.<BR>then stop leak. I am worry about absorbed plywoods with water.<BR>But I remember. I had insulated holes of bolts with epoxy in during the building. I think, it is<BR>not a big problem.<BR>There is another problem about stowaways.<BR>There are too much little mussels who are living in the CB´s slot.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

For Tersane,<BR>Leaks at keel bolts: it seems to be fixed but for others, the procedure is well explained in the 3M or Sikaflex brochure. <BR>- drill holes somewhat larger than the bolts<BR>- coat all inside of holes with epoxy, that will take care of protecting the plywood in case of seapage (leak).<BR>- put the sealant where it should go and let dry a little bit (see brochure)<BR>- install keel with bolts but do not tighten all the way: wait a few hours or overnight<BR>- tigthen bolts, launch and check.<BR><BR><!-- BBCode Start --><B>EVERY hole, for a fitting etc., drilled in your boat must be coated inside with epoxy.</B><!-- BBCode End --><BR><BR>Fortunately you did it.<BR><BR>About the mussels, you should have painted the inside of the trunk with anitfouling paint.<BR>Until the next time you take the boat out of the water, pour some chlorine in the trunk through the inspection plate. After a few times, the mussels will dissapear.<BR>
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Matthias
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matthias »

Thanks Jaques and also Jim and Habib for your replies!<BR>I think the only problem is the cb-trunk, the keel is strong and correct installed with sikaflex and bolts. I shall reinforce the inside seams between floor and sides of the trunk and also the inner edges of the trunk with glass and epoxy. <BR>The cracks developed during installing the keel in result from a "weak" trunk (over the fairbody plate)
Matthias Krebs

tersane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tersane »

Thanks Jacques.<BR>Chlorine is a perfect idea...<BR>I will try it and I will propose<BR>to other Turkish sailors.

Cheng
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Cheng »

Hallo Matthias,<BR>ich habe hier gelesen, daß Du eine VG20 gebaut hast.<BR>Ich überlege gerade, welches Boot ich bauen soll. Gerne würde ich ein paar Fragen stellen. Leider konnte ich keine e-mail-Adresse finden.<BR>Falls Du bereit bist mit mir in Kontakt zu treten - hier meine e-mail: <!-- BBCode Start --><A HREF="mailto:christian_engleder@yahoo.de">christian_engleder@yahoo.de</A><!-- BBCode End --><BR><BR>To all the other users: Sorry for the german massage. I aksked Matthias for his e-mail adress.<BR><BR>Viele Grüße<BR>Christian