Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by cape man »

Yesterday we ran some 60 miles heading north from Marathon to Cape Sable, back through Lake Ingraham, a fuel stop in Flamingo, and then a glorious ride home across the grass beds of western Florida Bay. The sea trout were few but cooperative off the point of Middle Cape Sable, and delicious last night. Burnt maybe 15 gallons, based on putting 8.7 in at Flamingo. Sure do love my Dory!
20240420_114103.jpg
20240420_123558.jpg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Looks like a good time is being had by all. Warm water and nobody around......NICE!

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Thank you for sharing the photos Cape Man. Really nice to see you enjoying the water.
Dave

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I thought he must be your brother, you look pretty similar! Nice trip you have going.
Hank

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Cape Man!!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

The wood on the gunwales and foredeck need attention (again). The 4 ounce glass has several places where it is delaminatting, there's a crack that needs repair, and a few places where the wood is darkened due to water exposure. My plan is to take it back down to the wood, reseal it and put new glass on.

Has anyone used the Marine Epoxy with the UV inhibitor added that is sold here? It has a pretty good blue color in the resin, so I'm concerned about what it will look like for the final layers wetting in the cloth and on top.

Last time I used EMC clear to provide a UV layer on top, which worked, but am trying to avoid the $ if the treated epoxy will suffice and be somewhat clear over the wood.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

I used it on a carbon fiber grab bar and tiller extension on my boat. It lasted about 6 months before the cf started to turn gray. I painted over it.
That said, BBC didn't sell it then. I got it from RAKA in Ft. Pierce, who I believe actually makes the Marin epoxy for BBC.
This was at least 9 years ago so the formulation could have changed since.
Gary
GF-16 Completed
Build Thread
viewtopic.php?t=58331

cape man

Post by cape man »

Thanks. Good to know. Need more than 6 months...