Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by Fuzz »

Did I ever mention "you suck" :wink:

cape man

Post by cape man »

Is it getting cold there? :lol:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

cape man wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:20 am Is it getting cold there? :lol:
:cry:

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

At least the salmon will run soon. Our NZ runs are getting to the point where I don't bother anymore. 500-1000 fish per river.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:11 pm At least the salmon will run soon. Our NZ runs are getting to the point where I don't bother anymore. 500-1000 fish per river.
OneWayTraffic is that for your salmon runs?

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Here in Alaska our salmon runs are all over the place. Some places the runs are a total bust or some are just way under the 30 year average. And yet some places like Bristol Bay have been having all time record runs :doh: Lots of ideas on what is happening but the bottom line is nobody really knows.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Yes 500-1000 fish is a reasonable estimate of the total fish per river. Some would be less, none more. About 30% harvested on the way upstream, which makes for low numbers at the spawning sites and also many days effort to catch a single fish. The Salmon are North American Quinnat salmon imported in the 19th century. Some of the runs quickly grew very large (by NZ standards) until two of the biggest rivers were cut in two by hydro dams. No fish ladders to speak of in NZ. I would be keen to see some as it's not just the introduced fish that suffer, but our endemic species as well. Over the last 20 years the natural wild runs have decreased steadily to the current sad state. It's not known why, factors at sea are as likely as river conditions on land.

In ten years I've caught one sea run salmon, and about 20-30 from the Twizel canals. The canals were one upside of the hydro development with salmon farms--escapes are fairly common and the fish easy to catch-- and absolutely world class size North American rainbow trout and European brown trout. By world class I'm talking this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=canal+ ... =789&dpr=1

cape man

Post by cape man »

No salmon runs here. :lol:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

cape man wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:38 pm No salmon runs here. :lol:
No… shrimp, reds, trout, cobia, tarpon, mackerel and tuna though.

😁
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I was thinking Alaskan salmon. Nicest eating fish with the possible exception of tuna imo. :)