Rain vs 3 part paints

sterling L.P. topcoats and primers
Hunch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Rain vs 3 part paints

Post by Hunch »

I'm currently refurbishing a 38' sailboat and will be using either Sterling, S3 or Interlux Perfection. The owner has yet to decide.

With the spring rains upon us it will be a rare day when I can get a 4 hour window for the top coat to set firm.

What damage or detrimental effect will rain have on these paints if they are not 100% dry and get hit with a downpour? Will the moisture be for the most part be shed off or will I need to sand down the coat that took the shower?

This is my 1st job with these sophisticated finishes so I am a little worried .

Hunch

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Hunch that is one big project. I am sure 4 hrs of dry time will be enough for S3 to be rain safe. The Miami summer heat should help the paint dry much quicker. In fact, I think the primer dries slower than the topcoat. :doh:

I have only used the S3 so I have no experience with the other brands. You might want to talk to Ken as he has some good ideas about painting and he has used Sterling before. He has also used some brand x stuff that he says works pretty good. Send me an email when you get a spare moment.

Richard
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

At a minimum it will soft the paint and drastically cut its gloss. Worse case it runs off the boat.

Seriously, if your painting out side - wait for a day when your pretty sure there will be no rain. You could always put plastic around the hull if need be.

Hunch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Hunch »

shine wrote:At a minimum it will soft the paint and drastically cut its gloss. Worse case it runs off the boat.

Seriously, if your painting out side - wait for a day when your pretty sure there will be no rain. You could always put plastic around the hull if need be.
I'm doing the cabinside, hatch spigots and cockpit. I need to make a living and can't not paint even if there's a 20% + chance of rain.

I've gotten single part varnishes and enamels wet during dry times and for the most part they came through without a problem.

I've been struggling to learn the new techniques these 3 part paints need.

I can control the wet edge with enamels and varnish with spirits and pentetrol. And I get great leveling and no brush marks.

But adding reducer only thins out these polys and slows the drying time some but I still can't get rid of brush marks even by rolling and tipping with a good badger brush.

I've already restored the 28 year old interior and laid on 8 coats of varnish on all the teak and believe me there is a lot of teak.

Now to attack the outsides. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Here's a pic

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Beautiful boat :D

I dont know how to accelerate the S3 paint. The 2 part PU's all have accelerators, maybe thats your best bet

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

Humidity = NO GLOSS... this is from experiance Perfection says 70% Is the limit... I do not Spray or roll good paint over 50% humidity!!! I wasted 2 quarts :help: to figure this out!!!

I waited 12 days this summer to paint a top coat becouse of humidity....

Guess I will not have that problem moving to the desert 8)
... you thought epoxy was strong!
Romans 8:38-39