FL26 build in Friesland

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaap
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jaap »

Kept on wrestling with long fairingboards, sandpaper 60, filler and a lot of self motivation. I used some filler from Hempel and that is really light stuff and sands good after 24 hours. The guy on the boat is Herman, he is a frequent guest on a small camping near our village. Whenever possible he helps with moral support. Great guy, had 3 heart attacks this year, but keeps coming, smiling and joking. Thanks Herman!!
You like the two-tone fairing? The skeg is still a bit rough and needs at least 3 more layers biax, so it will look good after that.

Jaap
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jaap »

After a lot, a lot of sanding and fooling around with filler putty, I reached a point where I couldn't resist anylonger to wipe on the first coat of primer. It is a high build primer of Hempel and it beautiful filled little scratches etc. There is still some work to do but overall it looks quit fair, no big nacks or bumps in the bow and were the panels are glued.
One of the very few changes to the plans is the transom. From the original plan I used 6 mm ply instead of 10. That one is covered with 2 layers biax and now I want to glue a 6 mm through and through mahogany plywood panel with a clear epoxy coating on the slightly thinner transom. The mahogany panel is much heavier then the okoumee plywood I used for the hull. This should give a real classic look to our boat.
With a little luck I hope to flip the hull within a week!

regards

jaap

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Very stylish Jaap I like that (sjiek de friemel Jaap :lol: ) That's what I want to try with my CS 25 make some parts in dark hardwood.

Jaap
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jaap »

Hallo Peter, it looks quit dark on the picture. I have stained the mahogany with some coloured lacquer to avoid the yellowing in the sun. It is a tip from friends who are in painting an building yachts for a long time. After that I putted a first epoxy coating on, but that didn't spread as good as lacquer does. It is the effect of some silicon of the surface (which isn't!!). I think the effect will dissapear after a few coats and some sanding. After a few coats it probably lightens too, when the surface is more equal.

jaap

Jaap
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jaap »

After a lot of sanding, we coated the hull with 2 layers of primer and the underwaterpart with 3 coats of some hempel underwater primer, a sticky in-between-coating and 1 layer with antifouling. I did some work on the rubrails, but could not finished that before flippingday. And that was today on saturdaymorning. We started at 08:30 and the whole things was done at 10:00, thanks to the very good help of my father in law, our neighbours Liekele en Grietsen, the always advisor Herman and the-best-help-one-can-get Thijs with his truck. The turning went very easy in the strops and everything is back in the shop now! It was a lot easier then expected.

jaap

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Oh WOW, that boat is simply gorgeous. Lovely sleek hull.

Well done.

Tim.

PS, is that a canal I see on the left in the first picture?

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Wow Jaap looking good and very very big

Peter

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Very Well Done!! That is some superb craftsmanship. I agree with the others on the sleek lines of the hull. I wish that I had almost that access to water.

Keep oin Buildin'

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Fantastic, can't wait to see it with guts and a cabin.

Love it....

E

topwater

Post by topwater »

Outstanding.........transom looks great :!: