Mawrob's FS14 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

It doesn't take the S3 very long to dry. It is best to give yourself a good stretch of time and get it all done in one go at it.. IMO

Looking good.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Rob, like the name, good one for your part of the world. As for painting the S3 just touch the paint with a slightly firm touch of the thumb and if none comes off on it, its ready for the next coat, 1/2- 1 hour depending on temp. The boat really looks good in her white suit.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Mawrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mawrob »

Thanks Gents - was begining to worry about the name ;-) - no feedback is ... I find the S3 primer dries to touch pretty fast but takes a while to cure to sand and I guess be ready for topcoat. Got the first layer of CSC Extra and the final coat of primer on tonight. The Micron stinks - good thing I have a decent respirator.

Mawrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Top coat progress

Post by Mawrob »

.. and on to the top coat. I am using System Three Shaw Blue WR LPU. Here are some shots after two coats using roll and tip.

It dries to recoat fast (but not to sand and I found to my chagrin this morning). The third coat is currently drying. It may be worth attempting to clear coat if I have the time.

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

Nice blue.. sure is a weird paint isn't it..

Mawrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mawrob »

Yup it is. Hopefully I will get it to work for me.

Mawrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mawrob »

I applied two crosslinked WR LPU coats this evening using the Wagner Control Plus HPLV sprayer - http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/portal/w ... 9,747.html. Here are the results. Looks good apart from some runs. Not sure how best to get them out.

(The tape on the rubrail has not been removed and the bottom paint has not been painted up the chine.)

Mawrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mawrob »

After no boat work since Friday I have withdrawal symptoms. I am now the proud owner of a King Canopy from Sams Club http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/naviga ... dgoodflg.0 and have some assembly to do. With a little more boat building time available over the next couple of weeks I am considering building a breasthook and knees for cleats and a front bow light. I have decided not to use the pop-up cleats that I bought (http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/B ... LEATS.html) because I can no longer source the plastic drain cups.

Does anyone know where I can get a round stainless bicolor bow light for a fair price?

Mawrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mawrob »

I am looking for something like this http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/S ... GHT_2.html in stainless. Any idea how chrome plated brass holds up in a marine environment?

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine »

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.