FS17 low sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jerms
New Poster
New Poster

Re: FS17 low sheer

Post by jerms »

Shine,

I am getting ready to take the plunge and begin my first build. I am thinking that a low sheer FS17 would suit my needs, but wanted to know a few specifics if you don't mind. I've read through this thread a ton of times, my apologies if the following questions have already been answered somewhere and I didn't catch it.

I'll be primarily using this hull to pole high and low tide flats in Charleston, SC. I am mostly concerned with three things: actual draft numbers (light load and two people), how badly the wind catches the freeboard and affects poling, and how well it tracks when poling (irrespective of the wind).

I would appreciate any information you would like to share. Really love what you did with yours.

Cheers,
Jeremy

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

A lot of this is subjective, but here you go :) .....
actual draft numbers (light load and two people)
mine is about 5" with two guys, trolling motor and a 40 hp (heavy). For a poling skiff, i would have recommend a lighter motor. A guy standing on a platform plus a motor will weight more than rest of the boat.
how badly the wind catches the freeboard and affects poling
not bad, its relative to the draft of the boat and how low you cut down the sheer.
how well it tracks when poling (irrespective of the wind)
better than my PH16, all thing being equal a boat with a more narrow water line will track better. But tracking well is in almost direct conflict with poling draft. A boat with more V or a skeg (profile) will track better, but it will increase draft.

I have some small runners on my hull that help with turning and do not protrude far enough to effect draft - You can make them bigger (more profile) than mine and they would help with poling direction

In real life fishing, there are not many places I cant go with that boat. For a pure poling skiff the FS18 is better, but I would compromise with the FS17 so I could still cross sounds rivers safely and be able to use the boat in other applications. FS17 low sheer would be a great boat for low country tidal marsh fishing. I am considering taking my FS17 up to Hilton head and leaving it there for my dad to use, I have not been able to use it enough myself lately.

Rapchizzle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rapchizzle »

Jerms, give me a call before you start the build and order stuff. I still have some 12 oz biax and 6 oz tape as well as abotu 2- 2 1/2 gal of epoxy.

I haven't even gotten a motor for the Creek Rat yet and I'm already looking at the low sheer FS17 with a tiller!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Putting the FS17 up for sale......

http://treasure.craigslist.org/boa/3298174818.html

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

That's a good buy!

If you sell both of your boats, what's next :?:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

If you sell both of your boats, what's next
I dont know, but if I sell the skiff I have enough (with insurance claim) to get a new 300 4 stroke for SC. :)

I have a good offer already on the SC hull.

if I sell both, I could build a bigger boat (GS28 or other), might re-build another SC, or might partner with someone on a big boat. I'm not really sure, but I would not mind having options (cash) come November.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

That is a GREAT price for the FS17!!! It sure would be cool if one of the guys on here would buy the boat instead of a stranger. I don't know why I think that way, it's just the way I think :lol:
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I would not mind having options (cash) come November.
Me and you both. Just call us crazy. I'm thinking Krugerrands :wink:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

What's happening in November?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

AlScal
New Poster
New Poster

Post by AlScal »

tech_support wrote: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:57 pm A new project.

FS17 with lowered sheer and larger casting decks. I will keep the same sheer line, just lowered by about 4". Casting decks will be large, sole length will be 6'. No console, but a box a small box in the middle for gas and storage (also seat). Motor will be mounted on a hydraulic jack plate directly to the transom, no motor well. I will probably build a poling platform and a "hand rail" out of carbon fiber tubes.

Boat will be used 90% in the Indian River

The molds are cut, next week we will have the panels ready and maybe even have the strongback finished (all cut on the CNC) - this will be a quick one :)

Joel
Indian River Fla? I moved a J30 down the Intracoastal many years ago. There were oranges and grapefruit hanging over the banks of the Indian River.