Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Anyone Fishing?

Post by jonnymac »

Sounds like a blast! Ever since I saw barra fishing in a destination fishing magazine its been on my bucket list.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:50 pm
BarraMan wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:58 pm I think I need to admit myself to some sort of rehabilitation/detox, as I spent most of my driving time planning my next two fishing adventures! :help:
I don’t see the problem here.

Build crazy boat that you enjoy.
Build crazy boat to case a fish in difficult places.
Build crazy boat and take family and friends on adventures.

If you weren’t planning a few more trips you’d just be crazy.
:lol: :lol: The kid does have a point

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Yesterday (26th) was Australia Day and a public holiday. It was also very wet here as we got a taste of the annual monsoon. So I found myself in the office killing time - looking at some old videos of my past fishing adventures.
I stumbled across this one and thought I would post it here. It shows my son bringing a barramundi on board but I was particularly amused by the old bloke walking around on the gunnels (gunwales?). It illustrates just how stable my boat is!

https://youtu.be/MSXdxHPWCmE

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

She is stable!!!! Nice, Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Love your videos! In every one I think at some point "dang that is a big boat"

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

The thing I find most interesting about that video is ................
............... I’ve lost 30 lbs since then! :D

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The only reason you lost the weight was so the boat would run faster :lol:

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Given that this is boat building forum and a major reason for building a boat is to go fishing, I am surprised that this thread is as quiet as it is! :doh:
I enjoy reading about people's fishing adventures in different parts of the world and seeing what they are catching.

If you follow this thread then you will know that 2021 was a disaster for my fishing adventures, with one trip abandoned after a misadventure destroyed a trolling motor and the second trip abandoned due to a Covid outbreak and the risk of being locked out of my home State.

So how is my 2022 shaping up? Well I am planning a repeat of last April's trip to van Dieman's inlet on the western side of Cape York. See below:

Since "retiring", I have been consulting to the beef industry in northern Australia and one of my consultancies will take me to Delta Downs in April. "Delta" is a 1M acre (1,500 sq mile) cattle station (ranch) running 45,000 head of cattle - just to the north of Karumba on the map above.

Its about 600 miles (10 hrs) from my home in Townsville to Karumba and I figure that if I am going anyway I might as well take the boat. van Diemen's Inlet (VDI) is about 40 nm north of Karumba and is a know BIG barramundi
hangout! 8O

February 1 is the start of the barra open season and I might just have to pay my local barra haunt, the Hinchinbrook Channel, a visit next week. I fished there for 20+ yrs but it hasn't fished well in recent years for some reason.

I've posted this before - but here's a quick run up the channel!
https://youtu.be/Nrdin29KAKk

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Great video. How long was that run up the channel? BBB looked like it was moving right along.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:04 am Great video. How long was that run up the channel? BBB looked like it was moving right along.
I suspect that I was sitting on 30 kts, so about 40 min as its about a 20 nm run!

Here's what 40 kts up the channel in calm conditions looks like in real time! :lol:

https://youtu.be/iE-SHNpyNKA

the thing I love about this video is that at one point the boat almost looks like its not moving - but I can guarantee it was sitting on 40 kts! 8O