Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Anyone Fishing?

Post by cape man »

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

2023 has NOT been a good fishing year for me, in fact, I haven't had the boat in the water since last year's fishing trip in November 2022.

Lots of things have gotten in the way! Floods, urban terrorists, :help: prospective grand children, life etc! 8O Just the way it is! :lol:
So I am now in the preparation phase of this years fishing pilgrimage to the Northern Territory of Australia (NT) in search of barramundi! Hopefully lots of them.

For those who may not recall my annual fishing trips, I drive some 2000 km (1250 miles) from my home to a spot called the King Ash Bay Fishing Club (KAB) on the McArthur River in the NT.

This plot from the Spot Trace on the boat will give you a good idea of where I start out from my home in Townsville and my destination. An obvious question is, "Why don't you take a more direct route"? Answer: "Because the roads are absolute s@#t - hundreds of mile of corrugated unsealed boat trailer destroying roads. The way we go still puts us on 400 km (250 miles) of narrow, pot-holed, broken up seal but the remainder is good going.

I have a cabin booked at KAB and we will spend 7 full days fishing in glorious 40 degrees C (104 degrees F) weather!

This plot shows how we run down the river to our chosen fishing spot(s) for the day and back to the air conditioned cabin for the night.

There are normally 4 of us: my younger Son, my Brother, a mate and myself. This year its just my Brother and I! 8O That's OK, we get along fine - when we aren't having a argument! :lol:

Son and his wife are expecting our first grandchild next month. I don't see what the issue is :doh: but his wife likely has other ideas! The mate will be on his biennial houseboat fishing trip with some (other) mates on the same river, a couple of weeks before us.

We normally do the drive with 3 of us driving, with the boat in tow, over 2 days but because I will be the sole boat towing driver on this trip we will do it over a more leisurely 2.5 days. :D

I have finished annual maintenance on the boat trailer and will finish the repairs on the keel rub on the boat this week. I will work through the boat from one end to the other over the next few weeks, including replacing the 2 x house batteries. :D

Plan is to be ready to go by the end of October for a November 8 departure.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Hope you catch a lot!! Good on you to keep going each year!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Have a great trip and hope you catch a bunch of big fish!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Have a great trip and catch a lot of fish! Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Went silver fishing with my brother and two of his boys this last weekend. This is the river where my dad used to take us, and in which his ashes were scattered. My brother was kept pretty busy baiting up hooks and casting for the boys, and also netting fish while I was able to keep a lure in the water most of the time, so these were both mine. With an assist reeling from the younger of my nephews. They went back to the same spot the next morning without me, and with the high water a fresh school had moved in, so they limited out. Then the day after that we got a few more from another spot but we didn't keep most of those.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good catch!! Always great to see kids outside!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

Anyone Fishing...not necessarily Anyone Catching.. Awesome day with Richard, his next door neighbor and one of the young men who helped take care of our house while we were gone. The Gulf of Mexico is an amazing place!
20231006_071144.jpg
45110.jpeg

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

What manner of beastie is that? In my part of the world I would call it for some sort of cod! :D

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

That’s a gag grouper, very tasty.
We were prospecting/pre-fishing for a benefit trip I’m part of next weekend for pediatric cancer research. (I know where I’m not fishing next weekend) My daughter is a hospital admin and she raised a substantial amount of money for the cause. This was a requirement for her running the London Marathon.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146