Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Anyone Fishing?

Post by cape man »

I have only fished there twice, but actually did pretty good on the reds around the small islands just outside of the mouth. Wasn't sight fishing, just throwing lures (plastic jerk baits) up against the edges with a slow retrieve bumping the bottom. A small gold spoon or clouser fly should work as well if you insist on beating the water with the fly rod!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I hate when the fish is hidden due to over seasoning. I want to taste the fish first then have a hint of seasoning. If I’m using a bit of frozen and it hints at fishiness I’ll season a bit more.

God has blessed us with amazing marine resources here that it almost seems like an insult to change how it tastes.

I have a couple great redfish things. Not sure if we need to add a “who’s cooking the catch how” thread.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cape man wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:07 pm I have only fished there twice, but actually did pretty good on the reds around the small islands just outside of the mouth. Wasn't sight fishing, just throwing lures (plastic jerk baits) up against the edges with a slow retrieve bumping the bottom. A small gold spoon or clouser fly should work as well if you insist on beating the water with the fly rod!
Great info Craig, appreciate it. We've been doing a lot of the same (throwing flies up against the edges ) and we had decent luck with this "blind" technique in the Chesapeake, though it took a few days before it started paying off. Plan tonight is to go out the mouth and then just to the north and work an area we scouted the other day. One of the islands just outside the mouth was where I took a spill off the poling platform sat, luckily it was a silty bottom and not oyster clusters or I'd have more than just a banged up shin.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cape man

Post by cape man »

If the tide is running, try the edges on the downstream side of those islands. They love to sit in the eddy on the corners and ambush prey as it comes by.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cape man wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:56 pm If the tide is running, try the edges on the downstream side of those islands. They love to sit in the eddy on the corners and ambush prey as it comes by.
Awesome, thank you!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:12 pm I hate when the fish is hidden due to over seasoning. I want to taste the fish first then have a hint of seasoning. If I’m using a bit of frozen and it hints at fishiness I’ll season a bit more.

God has blessed us with amazing marine resources here that it almost seems like an insult to change how it tastes.

I have a couple great redfish things. Not sure if we need to add a “who’s cooking the catch how” thread.
I'd LOVE to do a catch-n-cook on this trip, but for the moment, more than happy to settle for catch!

Headed back out at 4, wish us luck!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Ok, the white jig head/paddle tail def made a big difference. Last night after work I got a snook and a red, this morning before work I got a few trout and a couple juvi tarpon. elaine got a few trout on her fly rod. So things are def improving and the spinning gear is working well as a probing device. Got to work the day and then we'll get back out tonight, rinse, repeat.

Really appreciate all the input!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Excellent! We are seeing big reds on the sea wall as of this morning. They should be in down there as well. They tend to leave the smaller bait/lures. Go up a size or two to get a free ride from a big boy.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:31 am Excellent! We are seeing big reds on the sea wall as of this morning. They should be in down there as well. They tend to leave the smaller bait/lures. Go up a size or two to get a free ride from a big boy.
Consider it done!.

Plans may be changing for Aprill btw, I'll keep you posted but we will be running a week behind at that point.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:21 am Plans may be changing for Aprill btw, I'll keep you posted but we will be running a week behind at that point.
Later is good for us. Just let me know when so we can move boats around. I may have some big water options for you if Mrs wants to try bottom fishing a wreck or two. Need to make sure the boat and hardware are good (still installing stuff) but by the time you are here I should have it together with some fish in the freezer.