Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Anyone Fishing?

Post by TomW1 »

Nice Jaysen, I love cobia steaks.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I was looking at the pictures and it dawned on me, “Fuzz would just use these for halibut bait”.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Maybe the smaller one but the other one looks like a pretty darn good fish. I have no idea how either fish tastes but they look good.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well, I force fed some of each to some grumpy land creatures that hate fish (in laws) and they asked me to ship some to them in NY. I promised to ship it when they fill the tank on my buddies boat. They got excited until I commented it needed about 100gal at its current level of emptiness. They haven’t spoken to me since 8p last night.

Cobia: very firm. If cooked wrong you need a knife. I don’t abuse fish after I kill them, so we were able to eat it with a spoon. You get a definite “fishmonger” smell through the butchering and if you are my level idiot and forget to clean your cookery quickly enough. The flavor is super mild. Just a bit more “this is fish” than your halibut but as I mentioned above… much much firmer. My prep was butter braised then finished in the broiler, topped with caramelized garlic and lemon vinegar. Served with a simple green salad with a home make herb and raspberry vinaigrette.

Weakfish: those suckers are so soft they are hard to fillet. Mostly because there is a tendency to be over aggressive with the knife resulting it getting into the belly. These have a distinct “this IS fish” flavor even skinned. But it is so soft you have to be super careful with the prep or you get a pan full of fish mush. Short of pre-coating a fillet with epoxy, there is no way to make these things tough. That said super easy to disrespect the fish and ruin the meat. My prep was the most expensive olive oil I own raised to 140F, fresh basil mulled and added in a row a bit narrower than the fillet, fillet placed on top of basil and then the pan covered until the fish just turned white. Let rest while preparing more chopped basil mixed with stupidly expensive olive oil for a topping. (As you can tell, I am not happy at how much my best oil cost me this week … yet I’m sending the boss lady to the store to buy more)

VT_Jeff my be forced to eat some fish if he swings by these parts. :D
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man

Post by cape man »

My son's friend got a trip out to the Elbow (90 miles west of St. Pete). They didn't invite me :(
27884.jpeg
27889.jpeg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Now that is some fishing!!!! Congrats, Jeff

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

6EC656D6-BC02-426D-A7FF-4CDB6C0D61A5.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Looks like a very happy young man there.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice catch FG!!! Have fun!!! Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:49 pm Well… this happened

261BE23E-A798-4DB1-AE56-09D28EADF8F7.jpeg

Weak fish and cobia moving in.
Looks delicious!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie