Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Anyone Fishing?

Post by BarraMan »

Well, after my last two fishing trip disasters I am going to dip my toe in the water again tomorrow. Back to see if any barra are biting in the Hinchinbrook Channel. 8O

Darcy the Drone is coming along too, so I should get some good video - if nothing else! :lol:

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Good luck!!
Hank

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Red skies at night sailor's delight in other words good luck :D :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Your pictures/video and stories are good for us even if the fishing is not as good as you hope for.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good luck!!! Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Elaine and I are in Homosassa getting our butts handed to us. We're trying to sight-fish for reds with fly rods, but the water in the channels is too dark to see fish unless they are tailing and we have seen exactly 1 tailing fish in 2.5 days. We've been out to the gulf a few times and there is better clarity out there and we have spotted a few reds, and then quickly spooked them. Elaine did land a snook so we're not totally skunked.

If anyone has knowledge of the area and wants to pm me a recommended spot I'm all ears.
Attachments
20220319_112616.jpg
20220319_161855.jpg
20220320_171812.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

This is normal for marshes. I find the water clears up about 1hr before/after slack high. I’ve given up sight casting unless someone is on a poling platform.

I find that reds tend to tail on crab flats. Look for a hard mud flat that is dry at low and crawling with fiddlers. Once there is 4” of water on that flat start looking for fish backs. Around here those reds seem to only care that their eyes are under water.

Not sure you have speckled “trout” down there. But throw a minnow or shrimp about 2-6’ from grass that is in the water (meaning grass you see… you may throw into submerged grass). Keep the lure 6-12” below surface. They school but travel fast so be quick to get right back out there.

Reds and trout are picking up here. I’ll scout some more spots for you but the method is consistent.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:03 pm This is normal for marshes. I find the water clears up about 1hr before/after slack high. I’ve given up sight casting unless someone is on a poling platform.

I find that reds tend to tail on crab flats. Look for a hard mud flat that is dry at low and crawling with fiddlers. Once there is 4” of water on that flat start looking for fish backs. Around here those reds seem to only care that their eyes are under water.

Not sure you have speckled “trout” down there. But throw a minnow or shrimp about 2-6’ from grass that is in the water (meaning grass you see… you may throw into submerged grass). Keep the lure 6-12” below surface. They school but travel fast so be quick to get right back out there.

Reds and trout are picking up here. I’ll scout some more spots for you but the method is consistent.
Appreciate that input, I'll see if we can put that into practice. At least one of the areas we worked was crawling with crabs.

There are def. seattout here and I may take your advice and start targeting them with some spinning gear if only to get the boat smelling like fish a little bit. I had decent luck with those in the Chesapeake last year.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Mrs Jeff should be able to hit them with the fly. Just need a mullet/minnow/shrimp pattern. Have her retrieve in long but fast jerks. They will hit it right as it stops so she will need to keep the line under her finger (I forget the technique name).

If you’re using spinning hardware use a white paddle tail on a jig head less than 1/4. Same retrieve pattern. I’ve also use drone spoons in silver and gold with success.

If you want to “be like Jaysen” a wad of aluminum foil shaped like. Cigar with a single layer tail will work too. Super light weight at hook. Let it drift. Just twitch it on the surface about 12” from the grass. This is super effective with a cane pole.

Not sure the trout limits there. I recommend skimmed fillets with a light garlic oil fry. Put enough oil into the pan to get about 1/2 up the thick part of the fillet. Heat oil. Put fillets in pan UNSEASONED. Cover pan. When fillet looks cooked halfway salt and pepper. Cover for another 2-3 minutes. Once fillet is just cooked flip fillet. Count to 25 then put on plate with paper towels to drain for about a minute. Serve over lettuce with a lemon vinaigrette dressing.

Probably more info about my level of crazy than you needed.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:57 pm Mrs Jeff should be able to hit them with the fly. Just need a mullet/minnow/shrimp pattern. Have her retrieve in long but fast jerks. They will hit it right as it stops so she will need to keep the line under her finger (I forget the technique name).

If you’re using spinning hardware use a white paddle tail on a jig head less than 1/4. Same retrieve pattern. I’ve also use drone spoons in silver and gold with success.

If you want to “be like Jaysen” a wad of aluminum foil shaped like. Cigar with a single layer tail will work too. Super light weight at hook. Let it drift. Just twitch it on the surface about 12” from the grass. This is super effective with a cane pole.

Not sure the trout limits there. I recommend skimmed fillets with a light garlic oil fry. Put enough oil into the pan to get about 1/2 up the thick part of the fillet. Heat oil. Put fillets in pan UNSEASONED. Cover pan. When fillet looks cooked halfway salt and pepper. Cover for another 2-3 minutes. Once fillet is just cooked flip fillet. Count to 25 then put on plate with paper towels to drain for about a minute. Serve over lettuce with a lemon vinaigrette dressing.

Probably more info about my level of crazy than you needed.
I like it! I'm going to go ahead and get the pan/oil/seasoning ready before I head out tonight after work so I'll be ready when I get back with the fish!