Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JimW »

Took my nephew out offshore for the first time last Saturday but with no others aboard we stayed close (about 8 miles off shore). It would have been a good "Ledge Day", the weather was great. We saw big cudas, some spainish sardine schools being coraled by spadefish looking schools. Luke caught one 2.5 foot remora on one of the live spainish sardines we sabiki-ed in. Saw a nice kingfish jumping as another boat I think had him hooked up. Saw a beautiful 8 foot shark cruising the surface right past us at about ten yards away. We saw a lot of life but struggled to catch fish. Luke was just playing until I got a fish on for him, so it was a one man show trying to catch bait, rig tackle and not miss a fish. One armed paper hanger type day.
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

I have been down in the Florida Keys for a week. We caught some dolphin aka mahi last Sunday and Monday before the winds started howling. The wind has blown out our offshore fishing the last two days. We are going to try fishing for snapper tonight on the outer reef of Hawk's Channel. We fished and snorkled in a trench in the gulf yesterday in an effort to get out of the wind. We saw some nice lobsters but they are out of season. :wink:

The strong winds have resulted in a more relaxing trip than usual. Lots of rest and relaxation. 8) Winds are supposd to let up on Friday. Maybe we can get some quality fishing in on our last day here. :doh:

AA
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

tobolamr wrote:Does any inland fishing count? Or only "big water?"
You bet! :D The only reason I don't fish the local lakes is that I don't know them like I do the coast. Also, there is not much management of the stocks in these "impound" lakes, so the variety, quantity, and size are limited. So, I fish the coast where I learned what I know and can count on.

Bring on the reports... and pics.

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

Let's see...

We've been going crazy with the Bass the past few weeks, pre-fishing for tournaments. My partner boated a beautiful 19" largemouth in mid May. No scale on board, so we only guessed that it was pushing 4lbs... I have a pic, but haven't gotten it developed yet.

Dark Horse
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dark Horse »

I've finally had enough free time to actually go fishing

Last week a mess of Largemouth Bass 2-5lbs
10 Northerns 24-28"
1 Northern ~40" we got him right to the boat, shook free just as were were reaching in for him. Best kind of Catch and Release, no slime involved! :D

Jim

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

Dark Horse wrote: 1 Northern ~40" we got him right to the boat, shook free just as were were reaching in for him. Best kind of Catch and Release, no slime involved! :D

Jim
When it comes to slimy catches I prefer to fight them to submission then hope the hook pulls out. Clean hands, clean deck, and a quick cast for the next one. :D

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

We're wearing them out in Costa Rica. Had a Grand Slam yesterday, a Blue Marlin near 500, a Black about 300, a Striped about 150 and 11 Sailfish. 7 hours of fishing 8)

Still another week to go. I think I'm going home, get Sam and come back :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Cracker Larry wrote:We're wearing them out in Costa Rica. Had a Grand Slam yesterday, a Blue Marlin near 500, a Black about 300, a Striped about 150 and 11 Sailfish. 7 hours of fishing 8)
8O Wish I was there!!! :roll:

topwater

Post by topwater »

Larry youre killing me.......!
It's good to see youre having a great time 8)

AmbitiousRookie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AmbitiousRookie »

I've been fishing a lot before this I've been catching some serious crappie probably caught a dozen or more over 1lb. been a great year for them, man were they good. This 1 was 26 1/2 and 6.5 lb. had another one 27 and 7lb. 4 oz. but I let him go being that close I'll let him grow up!

Anyone one know what the heck this is caught it in our casting net?