Thinning Sterling topcoat

sterling L.P. topcoats and primers
cheetah
New Poster
New Poster

Thinning Sterling topcoat

Post by cheetah »

What do you use to thin the sterling topcoats and is this a water clean up paint. I have read the tutorial and seem to understand adding the brushing converter and catalyst. also what do you thin the yacht primer with
Andy

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob »

Sterling topcoat & primers are organic solvent based systems, NOT water-based like System 3 Topcoat & Yacht Primer.

Are you sure you don't have System 3 and Sterling mixed up?

System 3 Topcoat & Yacht Primer = water-based, clean up with water. 2 part system: Uses base paint and crosslinker. Thins with water.

Sterling Topcoat & High Build Primer = organic solvent based (a respirator is mandatory). 2 part system: Uses a Brushing Catalyst/Converter and then is thinned with Brushing Reducer. Clean up with MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone).

I've used them both. Sterling Topcoat rates a 9.5 out of 10 in my book. System 3 Topcoat rates a 2.5 out of 10.

I do use & like System 3 Yacht Primer exclusively.

cheetah
New Poster
New Poster

Post by cheetah »

thanks for the info I have it now..! I will be painting a (formerly)gel coated boat. I am in the process of sanding. I will be using the Yacht primer and the topcoat. Can I use a respirator from home depot or do I need a special one? Any tips on thinning? is it better to thin the paint and use more coats? This will bemy first attempt at roll and tip but I figure the paint will be worth it I want a very durable paint.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Use S3 Primer and if you use S3 Topcoat no respirator needed, just ventilate well. If you use Sterling Topcoat get a respirator with a P95 cartridge and carbon filter. Do not use an N95 filter this is a particulate filter for dust.

Since you didn't say which topcoat I gave an answer for both. :)

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

cheetah wrote:t Any tips on thinning? is it better to thin the paint and use more coats?.....
here is a very detailed, but not overwhelming, tutorial on roll and tip application of Sterling topcoat....

http://boatbuildercentral.com/howto/ste ... ll_tip.php

Personally, I prefer to get coverage first with the first two coat - not being overly concerned with dust specs and small runs, then after sanding the last coat i thin a little more so it lays out better.

cheetah
New Poster
New Poster

Post by cheetah »

Thanks guys,

I will be using the sterling topcoat.
Joel, as far as coverage how much sterling did you use on the aquasport?I have a j-craft skiff centerconsole 16' by 84" beam the sides are 12" high. Do you think a quart will cover the ouside and console? I posted some pics on the powerboat forum under "J-Craft"
Thanks you guys are great I will keep the pics comig
Andy

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

cheetah wrote:have a j-craft skiff centerconsole 16' by 84" beam the sides are 12" high. Do you think a quart will cover the ouside and console?
Andy
Andy,

We used less than 3 quarts of white on the Aquasport. That covered the hull from the water line up, the cap, the console, and the leaning post. 2 quarts would have been enough for the hull and console only. We used an offwhite paint (Matterhorn White) over the System three light grey primer. If you use a color other than white, you can expect to use at least one more coat to get even coverage.

NOTE: make sure your sanded primer is even in coverage (no sand through spots), or you will need much more pain int those places :!:

cheetah
New Poster
New Poster

Post by cheetah »

Wow ,
Thanks Joel this site rocks I can hardly wait to get priming and painting
Andy

BruceM

Post by BruceM »

Be extra careful with the MEK for cleanup. That stuff is very very dangerous, do not get any on your skin, don't expect disposable gloves to keep it off you either. Wear a charcoal respirator.
Good luck and be safe
I bet it will come out as you expect.