fs18 or sc16

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
backlashnpcola
New Poster
New Poster

fs18 or sc16

Post by backlashnpcola »

Ive been really looking to build an fs18 but I love the lines of the bow of the sc16 can I and what would the effects of building an sc16 with 4ft + beam all the way to transom like the fs18 could the weight be keep down to the 250# range given add ons such as stringers and a sole

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

It's probably easier to build the FS18 and change the sheer so it has the lines of the SC16. No real structural changes, so it would be pretty easy but you'd need a few extra sheets of plywood.

Changing the width of the SC16 in the way you describe would require all the panels to be recalculated, which would not be an easy task.

Fred in Wisc

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

I agree with Fred start with the FS18 and change the shear to the SC16. In fact if it was me I would buy both sets of plans and interpolate the SC16 numbers onto the FS18 shear, for $50 it would be worth it to get it right. I don't know how much extra room you have on the FS18 nesting so be prepared to buy 2-3 extra sheets of plywood.

Good luck and have fun. I love the planning process.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Use the FS18 as your base. The SC16 is not only smaller in size, but the scantlings are too light to be used on the bigger boat. In other words a SC16 built to be larger, will not be strong enough without making it more like the FS18.

If you want a sole, just forget about the SC16 altogether. Everything you describe that you want is the FS18 to a "T". You can modify the shear line look like whatever you like, thats easy.

Joel

backlashnpcola
New Poster
New Poster

Post by backlashnpcola »

thank you for all of your insight sounds like fs18 is they way to go wich I was really leaning too any way mybe i can make it a little shorte 18ft is a lot of boat

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Having had a similar commercial design, I'd say make it at full length, they get small fast when you spend time on them.

Jbo

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

If you shorten it, you would loose a lto of volume; less volume = more draft

A shortened FS18 would draft more

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

How hard is it to lower the sheer from the plans? I like the FS17 Low sheer version Joel is building but I think it could be cut down some more for shallow water sight fishing on the Lower Laguna madre. Is it simply a matter of chopping say 12 inches from the frames and then subtracting an equal measurement from the side panels?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Anonymous wrote:How hard is it to lower the sheer from the plans? I like the FS17 Low sheer version Joel is building but I think it could be cut down some more for shallow water sight fishing on the Lower Laguna madre. Is it simply a matter of chopping say 12 inches from the frames and then subtracting an equal measurement from the side panels?
Not difficult, simply draw the side panels as normal then use a tracing gage of some sort to reduce the sheer line by whatever you like.

12" is WAY too much, mine will be about 4" in places which will make for very low freeboard