She floats - C17 ~~~~SPLASHED~~~~

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jgroves
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jgroves »

HOLY COW! Sorry I'm late to the party!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm in shock seeing you on the water! I know it has been a long time coming and you have certainly put in your time on this forum. You have one beautiful boat to show for it!

RR
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RR »

Fantastic :!: Congratulations :!: :D

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

Fantastic looking boat and really good balance as well. Let us know if you get a good weight on her sometime. I always like to compare with the design estimates. Happy boating.

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

I watched the build and had no idea how nice that boat was..

man is she beautiful..

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Very nice, clean epoxy work, beautiful wood treatment, congratulations.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jgroves
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jgroves »

DANG! 34°25'59.56"S
19°13'29.51"E I was crossing my fingers that it was going to be somewhere closer to me.... but dang! You are really going all out to test your boat! South African Cape... dang! Make sure you bring your 200lb test fishing line :D .
The pics posted on google earth remind me of the YouTube video of Old Man and The Sea where he remembers the African coast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1EbNvHDxbA
Last edited by jgroves on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

I know I probably don't need to say this, because you know that you have to protect any epoxied bright work with some kind of top-coat. But maybe it should be mentioned for those newbies looking on.

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Guys, your comments add to the great feeling I had yesterday driving the boat. Thanks again.
TomW wrote:Tim, again a great launch, and as D2 said practice makes perfect doing it during the slow times is great if you can. The 3 straps, 2 rear, 1 to the bow eye are the minimum, I also like one or two over the gunnels to hold it down to the trailes better, I don't remember if you had any there.

Hey good luck on the move home! From the pictures I have seen of it it is a vast and beautiful place with different climates depending where you are located. One item we have come across in the forum is that the South African builders need two motors on their boats by law. Something you might want to start looking into as the time draws near. Your C17 should be great down there, I can just see you hooking into a Great White. :D

Tom
Tom, I had two straps over the boat while towing, but am looking at getting more. All helpful points being taken on board.

Thanks for the well-wishes on the move - it's kinda stressful at the moment, and getting the boat launched was one more thing to be crossed of the to-do list before we go. We'll be using it more before we go though... :)

I know of the SA comments about twin motors, and have commented on one that I remember, mentioning the law. I have been looking into it, and the single engine on the C17 will restrict me to within one mile (if I remember correctly) of the shore. Anything more needs twins. I haven't been able to find whether a kicker is required, but it would be crazy to go without one anyway. So, I will be able to use this boat within view of the coast, which is pretty much my limit anyway. I'd want a bigger boat for further out. The water is very different there than anything I've seen here, with much less chop than I've heard you guys talk about and a big swell coming up from the roaring forties. Its also very regular in when it 'goes well'.

This pic (about five miles from our new home) was taken in December when we were last there (my sister on the rock):

I've driven Navy Zodiacs in these swells before, and it's great fun, flat out, staying in the trough, then hard left across the swells a bit slower, then 'tween the swells again. A bit of a zig-zag course, but much more comfortable than trying to go diagonally across them. Looking forward to doing it again. Also driven a minesweeper through them. 8O I've also seen it flat as glass, but not often.

Oh, and great whites are a protected species there ;)

Happy to go out shark spotting though. Sharks are very common there, and I don't think I've been to sea without seeing one, and have only done a couple of dives without seeing them. They generally leave you alone.

T.
Last edited by WobblyLegs on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

jacquesmm wrote:Very nice, clean epoxy work, beautiful wood treatment, congratulations.
Thanks Jacques! :)

Am I correct that you are the designer of this boat? I know that Evan has designed for you before, and is doing a tug at the moment.

It's not all going to stay bright!

Tim.

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

MadRus wrote:I know I probably don't need to say this, because you know that you have to protect any epoxied bright work with some kind of top-coat. But maybe it should be mentioned for those newbies looking on.
Correct. ;)

The horizontal wood at the very least is going to have to be painted! It was getting almost too hot to touch yesterday in the sun.

Plan is to have a white (or something similar, not too reflective) roof, deck and cockpit. Cabin sides and coamings will be sanded (again) and varnished.

T.