Sashimi-panga22-Kauai

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

Fonda@kauai wrote:Thanx guys :D At the rate your going Bassmunn, I have a feeling your a weak man for temptation :P Lookin good, keep up the good work!
p.s. I don't have TV either, would much rather read or do something than watch someone else doing it.
Guilty as charged :lol:

I agree would much rather do it myself than watch someone on TV do it. Unless it's a fishing programme I just don't watch it :D

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

very nice job on the stitching. Getting it right now is a lot easier than getting it right later with fairing compound :!: :)

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

Getting it right now is a lot easier than getting it right later with fairing compound
That's what I was thinking. I'd rather spend more time and energy now and have the rest of the build be a little more enjoyable. Delayed gratification if you will :D All the little imperfections are worked out, all the stitches are pulled, and there's just a few more places in the chine and keel to fill with EZ fillet. I'll post a pic when the edges are all rounded over and it's ready for FG tape. It looks like a boat :!:
My biggest problem is I start day dreaming about the build while doing other things...
Same here. Boat building is ruining my life :help: and I'm so stoked :D
Aloha

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

Ready for glass! ImageAll seams and stitching holes are filled and all edges are rounded over. After I took the pic I layed out guidelines for all my FG overlaps with a tape measure and sharpie. I wanna do it all wet on wet so I'm kinda waiting for a nice sunny day. Been real rainy here. Also waiting to hear what I should do about my transducer before I lay the glass down (anything else section) Want it as solid as possible :wink:
Aloha

saltponder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by saltponder »

Looking great! With the glass pre-cut, and with three folks working; one mixing, the other two spreading, we were able to work wet-on-wet on my 20' Panga and get it done in under 3 hours. Of course, the big difference was that one of us was Cracker Larry. :) Short of sending Larry a Delta ticket to HI, if you can get two more folks helping it will make a big difference. We used 7" rollers, spreaders, and plenty of vinegar for clean up.
Gil

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

One hell of a long day yesterday, but she's pretty much all glassed! All wet on wet and all by myself Image Took this shot after all seams were taped and panels pre-coated. You can see my guidlines on the transom for the wide cloth. Also I beefed up the lamination schedule a little, running 2 layers of tape on the chine instead of 1. Here I am mixing some resin getting ready to start wetting out the cloth. Note how I carried the cloth higher up the sides than the required 6" Image And here's the transom all done. Image The white you see on the transom edge isn't air. I made a small cutting error and filled the gap with milled fiber and resin. There's a few airbubbles I need to fill in but not anywhere structural. The white on the lower left is where I hit the stitching with some sand paper. And here's a shot from the bow Image Again a few small bubbles but nothing I can't take care of. I have a few braces with screws holding the shear in shape hence the spots where I didn't glass over the screws :wink: So after work today I'll fill in the weave and bubbles, knock down any fibers and patch in the leftover fabric scraps where the sides and transom didn't get covered. It's not required on the panga, but I want the whole outside to have glass. I'm hard on my stuff :lol:
Aloha

colonialc19
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by colonialc19 »

Looking good Fonda!

Keep the pics coming 8)

Daniel

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

Hey looking good!
It's pretty tiring doing all that glassing in one go isn't it? That's a big boat.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Nice going, Fonda! Glassing the outside was the only part of the boat I didn't do solo - my wife was mixing resin for me while I did the application (that seemed to fulfill her boatbuilding urges until it was time to sew the berth and seat cushions :D ). That's a big job for one guy.

Now the "building" will be on hold while you get to the "fun" part! :D

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Wet on wet alone on a 22' boat? Man, I thought I was sore doing that on a 15' boat. :D Great job, looks really clean. Might I suggest a few cold brews and a couple of days of bragging to your friends before continuing. It really helps those acky muscles.