Sashimi-panga22-Kauai

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
saltponder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by saltponder »

Stuck in the doldrums, for sure:

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?p=159422#159422

Gil

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

Panels are all stitched! Image You can probably see I still have a little more fine tuning on the chine seam and a few bulges to take out of the keel seam but that's small potatos. I've been working 60 hour weeks right now, just started my own business. So all the progress I'm making is in the hour or two before dark everyday. But I see normal work hours and days off on the horizon, so I should start moving at a better pace soon. For anyone else building a panga or boat with a lot of compounding, I say skip the zip ties and use tie wire for stitches in the really bendy areas. I used a doubled piece of tie wire(the rebar kind) in the tricky spots and it saved a lot of headache. The zip ties just weren't strong enough for some sections and the beauty of tie wire is you can unwind it a little if you need some slack or fine tuning. I'm amazed how well all the panels came together. Somebody put some serious TLC into designing this baby :D
Aloha

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Looking very nice, Fonda! I built my HMD while running and expanding my own small business, although I usually got about 2 hours at a time. Just keep telling yourself you've got normal work hours coming! :D :D Don't know of any other small businessman with normal hours, but no reason you shouldn't be the first! Whatever, enjoy your hour of building each day, it's the best stress relief from the business!

That panga has some serious bends in the ply - I didn't have any of those issues. Glad you got it solved!

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

That looks really good to me. I'm impressed you can work that many hours a week and then push on with the boat when you get home. It seems like you have accomplished a great deal with your hour here and hour there. That's a good tip about the wire vs zip ties. I like the idea of being able to easily loosen one a bit.

Likes seein' these hulls come together Dougster

jgroves
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jgroves »

Boat is looking great! I love the look of plywood taking shape :D

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

enjoy your hour of building each day, it's the best stress relief from the business!
That's what keeps me goin!
It seems like you have accomplished a great deal with your hour here and hour there
That's because I'm thinking about it all day at work and attack when I get home :D
Aloha

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

Hey Fonda you're moving along pretty quick, those are big panels to fight into place. The wire is a good idea, I had cable ties snap a few times on my bow section. I run my own business from home and can see my boat out of the office window, often find myself being very tempted to go outside quickly just to check something out :D

bermudian
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bermudian »

Hey Fonda good job. I too have my own business (mobile tool sales) and a normal 8 hour work day is not in the cards but just a couple of hours a day after work you can get a lot of thing accomplished. One of the the most important things is keeping the momentum going even if it is just to clean things up' just do something every day. I had a lot of people ask me where did I find the time to build a boat and my reply was that I stopped watching TV!

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

Thanx guys :D At the rate your going Bassmunn, I have a feeling your a weak man for temptation :P Lookin good, keep up the good work!
p.s. I don't have TV either, would much rather read or do something than watch someone else doing it.
Aloha

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Boat is taking shape! Looks great from here. An hour here and there is how most of us get things done. My biggest problem is I start day dreaming about the build while doing other things... Doodling pictures of the boat while in meetings...