PH18 Build in North Dallas (PH20)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas (PH20)

Post by flyfishingmonk »

henry26 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:25 pmUpdates?
Well let's see not much happened on the boat the last 2 years. But I did build a house during 2020 and 2021 so that took quite awhile because houses are a challenge, some delays with supply shortages and contractors. In addition, the "attention to detail problem" that I have slowed things down a bit more but it turned out fantastic. There is a lot of it I did myself (built-ins, steam punk tornado shelter, rounding staircase up to a catwalk designed to hold three fly tying stations, speaker wire for future ceiling and wall speakers, bedrooms and such.

Then there is all of the work-from-home stuff like cat-6 throughout, server room for printers and computers, a four camera studio for live streaming to clients, a home office for my wife, a home office for myself, Unifi access points stations, outdoor Wi-Fi, etc. The real blessing is I did most of it under the pre-Covid price arrangement so pricing was decent. And now my old house I am preparing it for the market. This means hopefully I will sell it for a nice upswing.

But the new house, you should see the garage!!! Its about 1,000 sf of awesomeness with garage doors large enough to back in and out the boat with a poling platform, 13 foot high ceilings, heated and cooled (still need to move the AC unit over from the old house). So now I soon hope to be back on the build. Some photos below are of the new garage - my daughter sitting on some new workbenches I set up, a friend helping with some wood paneling.

The large blue bookshelf is what I built my wife. She loves her books!

As for fishing man have I seen some AMAZING water from 2020 and 2021 and now here in 2022. Alaska twice and Montana once, Idaho, and some I may be forgetting. So the fishing has been great. Loads of fish. I caught three steelhead rainbow trout on fly rods running 34, 32, and 27 inches in length over the last 13 months, and lots of other fish. Loads of fun!
fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:03 am Did we lost him forever?

I'm awful curious about these phantoms.

Might get the book, too.
Hopefully getting back in the swing of things.
glossieblack wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:30 am Happy birthday! :D

How goes the build?
Thanks! The build was on pause for the above, but I am now moving closer to setting up the new garage for the final push. I estimate I have 5% to 10% more left to finish the build.

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I am glad you are about ready to get back to finish your PH18. The new house sounds wonderful. May you enjoy every day that you put into it. Those are some nice fish.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks for the update. Good to have you back on the air. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Couple of questions. Where did you go in Alaska and where did you catch the steelheads?

cape man

Post by cape man »

NICE STEELHEADS!!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Thanks everyone!

I hope everyone is well. I am getting my shop set back up, currently building an elevator lift to take advantage of the attic garage storage. It will be beefy! 1,500lb beefy! I am going to put my lathes, bandsaw, and a few other odds and ends that don't get used as much in the attic, as there is adequate space to use them up there, saving on the floor space.

Doh! Looks like Evinrude is out...Yamaha or Merc?

I am leaning toward Yamaha.

Other suggestions?

Thanks all!

Casey

P.S. I took the boys fishing, breaking over into the world of spin gear for them. I picked up a nice spin rod (St. Croix) and two 5000 Vanford Shimano reels. My goal is to slowly accumulate a collection of spin and bait casting rods for the boat, so anyone can fish - as fly fishing takes too darn long to learn for a day out with a guest.

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27

cape man

Post by cape man »

Yamaha! Pricey but worth every penny!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I agree Yamaha, they just keep on running. If you need help in selecting a prop let me know.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Hi Boat Building Friends,

Here is a post to catch up on 2022, and 2023.

Well the house is pretty much done. Wife is happy, and the kids are doing great.

I managed to build another set of bookshelves, and a nice rounding stair case in my home office up to a loft I designed for my fly-tying. I built a steam punk storm shelter (décor and final door still pending completion).

I also built an pretty epic elevator that will lift about 1,000 lbs. I made it so I could take advantage of the space above my garage. I put my lathe, planer, bandsaw, two decent size sanding stations, and a load of other tools in this space. Works great.

I finished my new 3 car garage, stained the floor, put in an AC system, and got my boat set back up and ready for building. I made a separate tent in my garage just for the boat project, so the dust made form finishing up the last 10% of the boat build will be kept in check.

Onward and upward.

Casey

P.S. I took up guitar, that was a mistake. I may never finish this boat. =)

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Casey glad to have you back now put aside the guitar and finish the boat. :lol: :lol:

Tom