PH18 Build in North Dallas (PH20)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas (PH20)

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Here is the progress on the drain plugs. I went ahead and epoxied them in now, instead of messing with them later. I used the tool to shape them (forgot the name... it's late), and also used that to hold them in place as I epoxied them into the boat. The drain tube is within a 16th of an inch or so of the floor. I started with a block that made the thickness of the hull and the block the exact same thickness of the brass tube, and then I added a 3/4 piece of mahogany shaped to hold the brass handle. I made it slanted just for fun, after discussing it with my son. He thought it would look cool. I like how they turned out. Next up I will finish other side, it is almost done. Then I will proceed hopefully with some more painting of the lockers.

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Nice scupper plug detail Casey! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I really like the way that turned out too!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

glossieblack wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:13 am Nice scupper plug detail Casey! :D
OrangeQuest wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:46 am I really like the way that turned out too!
Thanks guys! I am getting ready to post some more pics of both plates. They came together very well I believe.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Here is the progress of the plates. You can see the finger slot for opening the handle. Works like a champ.

I keep running out of woodworking stuff to do and finding myself needing to mess with epoxy. I prefer the woodworking over the epoxy. :?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Man this build is full of custom features! That is going to be one nice boat!

cape man

Post by cape man »

Those plates look familiar 8) You will like them. Nothing to catch a toe or anything else.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Very cool, I really like those. I'm experienced wood worker at all but, like you, enjoy fooling with the wood more than the epoxy.

Dougster

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Yep Cape Man gets full credit. I saved his pic on my thread months ago to not forget his genius skills.

Casey
cape man wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:10 am Those plates look familiar 8) You will like them. Nothing to catch a toe or anything else.
Jwhitakeriii wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:29 pm
flyfishingmonk wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:46 pm I am setting this right here so I don't forget.
cape man wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:42 am I made a "box" in the corners of my OD18 for the scuppers, with a plate on the front to receive and recess a standard plug.

There's a 1" PVC coupling that goes through the hull, all epoxied in.
Looking really good. I may be dumb but what's the idea behind the box and scupper thing? I'm still trying to decide on a way to do my scuppers through my hull and am interested in that design. I assume it's probably just so you can plug it and have somewhere for the plug when it's plugged in?

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Dougster wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:53 am Very cool, I really like those. I'm experienced wood worker at all but, like you, enjoy fooling with the wood more than the epoxy.

Dougster
Fuzz wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:39 am Man this build is full of custom features! That is going to be one nice boat!
Thanks guys! Credit to Cape Man. The only tweak I made was setting it at a slight angle for fun.

Casey