PH18 Build in North Dallas (PH20)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas (PH20)

Post by flyfishingmonk »

After a couple weeks of travel to the East Coast for business, and a few days off, I am back home and getting some work done on the boat. I did manage to squeeze in a half day of a guided fishing trip while I was gone, but the fishing was slow. On another occasion during the same tirp my 8 year old caught her first little fish on a fly rod. That was fun. I took a picture of the sunrise that won me $100 bucks in a contest with some of associates.

Today I began to prime the inside of the fuel tank compartments. I feel like getting to some of the painting stage is a cool milestone. My little guy joined me in the garage before I started the painting. Then, because of the fumes, he had to stay inside while I worked. This paint is some stinky stuff. My new 3M mask form Home Depot did the trick. I could not smell a thing.

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Hope all is well, you have not posted in a while so figured I would check up on progress.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:02 am Hope all is well, you have not posted in a while so figured I would check up on progress.
Howdy OrangeQuest, and everyone else!

It has been a super busy summer, with little work on the boat. I did manage to get the second coat of paint on the fuel compartments, so they are now done. This weekend I finally started back up on the boat, specifically the drain plugs that empty the cockpit. I will put some pics up of the progress, but first the fishing from this summer.

As for the delay on the boat - this summer I have been working on a big work project, the launch of our new website. Completed that so now I will get my evenings back. I have also been working on getting ready to build a new home, so that takes time. And two fishing trips back to back - one to fly fish for pike in Canada, and another 4 day 3 night backpacking trip into Yellowstone park to fly fish for trout.

I managed to catch a 36", 37", 38" and a 39" all on the fly over the course of 4 days. I had a handful of ever bigger Muskie follow the fly, two strikes, but no hook set. That was a day and a half on the water in Minnesota. Next time maybe. I used 10 and 12 weight Thomas and Thomas surf fly rods. Those rods can cast a fly a really long way. Typical cast between 60 and 80 feet, with some approaching 100'. Works well when blind casting to pike, or site casting to Muskie. Two arm rods make for an easier day than the typical overhand fly rod. The pike loved the flies my son and I tied up before the trip. I also picked up a new reel for my 14 weight fly rod, big enough to land tuna. It's is a monster fly reel, and you can see it next to a full size keyboard in the pic below. I call it the dinner plate. One day I hope to fish with it.

As for the trout, I landed a 22" on my 5 weight with a dry fly. Site casting. That was a lot of fun. This was after hiking 5 to 6 miles and two nights of camping before the third day of finally catching some fish. The first two days were really more hiking and exploring the river. I purchased a tent to replace my old one that finally fell apart, and it works great for hiking and fly fishing, with a vestibule large enough to hold everything under the rain fly (pack, waders, boots, etc), but not inside the tent.

Next up I will post some pics of the boat progress.

Casey

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Really nice looking fish and reels!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:01 pm Really nice looking fish and reels!
Thanks!

Casey

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Here is the completed fuel tank compartment. It won't be seen but I painted it anyway. My friend Matt came over and I taught him how to use the lathe. He turned some mahogany dowels I need for the rod holders. This weekend my parents came down to visit. I had not seen them in what seemed like ages. Dad and I worked on the brass drain tube locations. Then the pic of my youngest is of him taking apart some old parts from my bandsaw upgrade. To him taking screws and ball bearings off of different parts are like finding little treasures. He keeps them all in his locked tool box. The garage is a total mess right now since I have not worked in there for weeks. But the AC still works. =)

Casey

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great fishing and nice progress Casey!! Jeff

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Jeff wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 am Great fishing and nice progress Casey!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff!

steeps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by steeps »

Hi Casey,

Been travelling and just read this. My best email is stoeckel.jim@gmail.com

thanks

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

steeps wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:29 pm Hi Casey,

Been travelling and just read this. My best email is stoeckel.jim@gmail.com

thanks
Jim I shot you an email.

Casey