PH18 Build in North Dallas (PH20)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: PH18 Build in North Dallas (PH20)

Post by flyfishingmonk »

I upgraded my band saw this week, and did some work on the speakers for the center console. The upgrade was for the guides, and the work was to make something for the speakers to be mounted into. I angled the blocks to give more meat for the screws to mount into. The blocks follow the angle of the sub woofer speaker cone .

For the mid size speakers I made little round over blocks since they can be seen from the inside of the center console.

The blue block picture is of the anchor box. I am adding a red bungee cord to keep it in place, specifically thinking through the hooks the cord will have and where the cord will attach. Thinking through stuff like this is really a lot of fun, how each detail works out in the end.

The blind nuts have been epoxied into place. They are for the battery hold downs. I pulled them down tight with large washers and the boltsI plan to use on the batteries.

The pic of the fillet is on the panel that hides the fuel tank. It is more to make things easy to clean up than anything else.

And Dougster - found one of the flexi things at Rockler, made by Makita. Looks to very similar so I took a pic for you.

And then one picture of what I think is the last board I will purchase for the boat, some dimensional mahogany, along with a cool picture I received from a client.
Dougster wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:11 am Dang, that flexi thing on your drill! My life is incomplete until I get one. I got tool envy. Nice build, I hope to see it some day at the Port A boat show in April.

Dougster

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Looks real fine, I'd make of mess trying that I bet. Thanks for the pic of the attachment, I'm gonna hunt one down.

Dougster

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Dougster wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:16 am Looks real fine, I'd make of mess trying that I bet. Thanks for the pic of the attachment, I'm gonna hunt one down.

Dougster
Thanks for the compliment. It seems to becoming together well enough.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Here are some pics of the tube I made to span the fuel tank panels. This is what will hold the fuel line as it passes through the life jacket compartment. I purchased rubber grommets I found online, and then had to use my lathe to bevel the coupling so it would be easier to install. I should have beveled the couplers before I glued them into place, but did not know it would be that challenging to get them into the grommets. I like how it turned out. Messing with custom stuff is so a lot of fun. The notch in the cleat is so the fuel tank will slide into place when installed. It had to be shaven off some for the top of the tank not to rub.

The last two pics shows the completion of the anchor box, with the anchor and rope. The anchor is held in place with yoga blocks, and will be bolted into the boat. Then a bungee will keep the anchor from coming up out of the foam. The foam itself keeps it held in place very tight, but the bungee will be for good measure. "Belt and suspenders" is what my dad likes to say.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Everything is looking good Casey. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

TomW1 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:06 pm Everything is looking good Casey. Tom
Thanks Tom! Good to hear from you.

Casey

steeps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by steeps »

Casey,
Your build is looking great. Can't wait to see her in the water. Question, you mentioned selling your jack plate in a previous post. After splashing my OD16, I'm going to be in the market for one. If you want to sell it, send me the details (make, model, $, @ (stoeckel.jim@gmail.com)), maybe I can help a brother out.

-Jim

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Casey, beautiful work!!!! Jeff

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

steeps wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:42 am Casey,
Your build is looking great. Can't wait to see her in the water. Question, you mentioned selling your jack plate in a previous post. After splashing my OD16, I'm going to be in the market for one. If you want to sell it, send me the details (make, model, $, @ (stoeckel.jim@gmail.com)), maybe I can help a brother out.

-Jim
Hi steeps, sounds good let's chat. I'll email you.

Casey

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Jeff wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:16 am Casey, beautiful work!!!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff!