Another question

sterling L.P. topcoats and primers
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Another question

Post by Cracker Larry »

Joel, I just finished inspecting the 2nd coat I applied yesterday. Sadly it has a few more sags than the first coat. Nothing serious, you can't see them unless you get a foot away in the right light, but I think we can do better.

I'm sure the problem is temperature/thinning related. Yesterday the high was about 65 when I applied the paint at noon. It was still very tacky to touch at 6pm. The temp had fallen to about 50F by then. The previous coat was put on at 75 degrees and dry to touch in 6 hours.

I've read all the Sterling documentation, which tells me it is either applied too heavy, thinned too much, or it's not tacking dry quickly enough. I'd certainly agree with the latter. I thinned a little bit less than 25%, and I don't think it was too heavy. Might have been :doh:

They tell me it can be corrected with a faster thinner, or by adding a few capsful of U1385, U1014, or C8761. Researching this tells me that 8761 is Sterlings brand of MEK.

Do you think I could use hardware store MEK to help with this? Or should I use a different thinner than the 2965? Any other suggestions? We won't have many more days with temps above 70, and I'd really like the next coat to be the last :lol:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Bumped. Any advice for colder weather application? The long range forecast says highs in the 60s for the next 2 weeks, but the high only lasts a couple of hours. Figuring an hour to mix, 2 hours to apply and 5 hours to dry, the average temps may be in the 50s.

This paint has so many additive possibilities I'm confused :doh: Maybe we need some accelerator? Maybe I just need to apply it thinner?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

im sorry, I meant to respond yesterday

Do the final coat earlier in the day, yo want it to skin over before the dew point rises. The accelerator will make it skin over much faster, but it also means there is not as much time for the paint to flow out and your brush will drag quicker, so I would reduce a little more when using accelerator. I have only used the accelerator once, and I did not like it. But with cooler temps it may be needed.

I am going to go check to see if we have some accelerator.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

found an open bottle :) Its the same bottle I used a couple years ago, I think you only use a cap full at a time.

Its on it way by UPS.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Thank you so much Joel :D You guys are great :!:

Also, do you think it safe to substitute plain MEK for the Sterling C8761, in capful quantities?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I do not know for sure, sorry :doh:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I'll blaze a trail :lol: Thanks.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Thanks to your help and tips, we've got it all worked out to satisfaction:D

It was warmer this weekend so I didn't try the accelerator, but did thin the paint more and applied less material to the boat. Also your suggestion of dipping the brush in the reducer when it started to drag was a big help.

I added a cap full of MEK to help it dry faster and this was also beneficial. It tacked over in about an hour, and dried completely in about 4 hours. Much better 8)

We're going to give it one more coat, just because we can, but it really doesn't need it :D

Thanks again Joel, I appreciate all your help :!: