SC16 finished and 1 year field test

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
landlockedinmi
Active Poster
Active Poster

SC16 finished and 1 year field test

Post by landlockedinmi »

This has been way overdue but none the less, the SC16.

I have been fishing her fairly hard for the last year and having fished outta the Gf14 for a few years I can say with authority that the SC16 is much much quieter. There is almost no hull slap at all. It is more stable and handles rougher water than a gheenoe. It is very fast w/ a 104lb thrust trolling motor, 3 batteries and on board charger under her mid seat. There is a ton of storage space in the bow.

Two guys and can move it very easily when empty.

The System 3 LPU paint is holding up very well. I cleaned her w/ a rag and some windex before taking these pics so it really still looks very good.

[/img]
GF14, SC16 coming soon FS17

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

Looks good. Looks to be alot of room in the SC16.

My S3 held up good after a year on my D15 too. cant complain.. any scratches or nicks are from my mis-use.

Where do you use the boat in Michigan.. we try to make it up there a couple times a year.. sure would be nice to take my D-15 sometime.

landlockedinmi
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by landlockedinmi »

I use it on an inland no gas power lake. Very stable platform and with that entry, very easy to push w/ a trolling motor

B.Lee
New Poster
New Poster

Post by B.Lee »

What kind of draft numbers are you getting in the real world?

The boat looks real good!

landlockedinmi
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by landlockedinmi »

Never measured how shallow she goes....I know it ain't much. That answer will have to wait until the 10 inches of ice thaws off the lake.

Arm&Hammer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Arm&Hammer »

What do you typically fish for? I have been a longtime smallie fisherman, but have been bit bad by the muskie bug. I am itching to get out again once the ice thaws.

I am contemplating a boat build, but just haven't decided yet. I spend 2-3 weeks a year in FL fishing the IRL. I may end up there full time if the weather stays like this! So I have always thought about a dual purpose build. One that would be big enough for 300-400 acre lakes in MI, but would also work well on the flats some day. Your build gives me another option to consider (Also considering the D15, FS14, FS17 low sheer, and OD16). More pictures of your boat, especially on the water, would be appreciated. Also, do you stay fairly dry in your boat?

Arm&Hammer in GR

landlockedinmi
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by landlockedinmi »

A&H-

I've never gotten wet in the rig but I'm topping out around 9-10 mph (guessing).

Having fished the keys for 20 years, my vote would be the FS17. In fact I bought the plans last year. An FS-17 built w/ attention to weight reduction would be outstanding for flats and bridge fishing in FL, not to mention Lake St Clair up here where it is 1 degree this morning.

Low sheer FS-17 w/ a light 2 stroke would float very shallow and quiet.

Making plans to fish the Keys in March. Can't happen quickly enough.

My lake has decent smallies, largemouth and some pike.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

I agree with LLM, the OD-16 is a very nice boat I use it exclusively on lake St.Clair, but there have been times when I wished I would have build the FS17, next build maybe, for it's V bottom and option for high sides, the lake can kick-up and be very rough at anytime, the OD-16 handeled it just fine but I have paid for it more than once.

landlocked, nice build! Sure is cold today, I'll be out on the ice this weekend.

Joe

landlockedinmi
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by landlockedinmi »

Joe:

I have had it w/ cold weather. Used to steelhead and stopped cuz they aren't tarpon.

Dumb Question:

What is the issue w/ the od-16 on st clair?

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

I hear ya on the cold weather, wish I had a good way out.
Lake St.Clair can get really rough, I have had the OD-16 in a 4ft chop or better and because of the flat bottom I would have to reduce speed down to 8 mph or less. It would slap the water and pound pretty hard, I don't think the boat had a problem with it but I couldn't take it for very long, in calm or semi-rough water it's fine.
The FS-17 with it's V bottom has a better chance of cutting through the waves rather than slapping on top of them.

Joe