SB18 in the Philippines

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: SB18 in the Philippines

Post by lncc63 »

Good to hear it Ross. Isn't Imus a traffic nightmare?

Christmas season is sailing season so if you do get here give us shout. You and your Admiral (that's what we call our wives) would be most welcome to messabout with us. The SB18 won't be ready by then, still need to pass my New Boat Fund Jar around a bit more, but we can lend you our club D5 :lol: ... don't worry about it, there surely be enough boats to messabout in.

Oh you'll love to build a boat here even more now. We've got "nearly BS1088" now and the laminating epoxy competetion is heating up so prices are going down. Glass is still as good as a monopoly but the prices are still very boatbuilder friendly. One thing though, I'm pretty sure you know this, OBs are still the BIG problem - absurdly high prices, so don't sell that one your keeping. I wouldn't worry too much about the OB getting stolen as not many people really use OBs here.

To keep us on topic, well I flipped the SB18 and I put on the inside fillets. Sunday morning I took my time sanding the fillets as I did not want to put the tape on while the temperature was rising. Mid-afternoon, I figured it would already be ok to start taping. Just to make sure I rechecked that the boat was still level and not really to my surprise she was not anymore. In an attempt to take a shortcut, it seemed like a good idea at first, I just relevelled the boat on the frames I used to turn her with - no strongback and I'm building on dirt. So I postponed the taping till I can build a soild strongback and be sure there'll be no twisting.

The problem now however is that there is little room to manuever the three boats not to mention build the strongback. I'll figure something out. Friday is a holiday here so I've an extra day of boat building.

Oh yeah the Farrier builder came over. He really likes the SB18 design. He asked if I was forming a class. My answer was I've a standing offer to host SB18s builds (CR13s too) as long as there is space in our yard. He mentioned building it in foam ... is that possible? The great thing is he also agreed to let me use their vacuum bagging facility for FREE! I'll have to do it on a Sunday so I don't get in the way of their production and just have to pay his guys that help me - fantastic!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I could give you foam sandwich scantlings for the SB18.
It may be worth it you vacuum bag in a mold otherwise the weight reduction would be negligible.
Even vacuum bagged, it will not be a spectacular weight saving.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Thanks Jacques. I'll let him know you can provide scantlings if he ever decided to build it in foam.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Good to hear about the ply and epoxy availibility! It was a real challenge finding them last time. Thanks for the invite, I'll let you know if we can make it. Love to see some of the builds and builders there!

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

The weather was kind to us and we got essentially 3 days of building in. On Friday I had was able to finish the frame of the strongback, and on Saturday we make the concrete feet. By the end of Sunday, we had the SB18 on her strongback with 2x4s set to the correct heights for her bottom.

Kind of looks ok however I can't seem to get the transom to fit quite right. Notice that the bottom and chine panels are a bit curved. This is because it does take a good amount of force to push the upper chine joints to the correct height.

The gaps are not much but I think there is a lot of stress here. Also the side panels will similarly need to be stressed to get the gaps to the transom smaller.

Is this OK? How about I take a heat gun to soften the epoxy?

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Coaxing her ...

Almost there :D

I think I'll be taping this weekend after all. A lot of extra work to remove the frames again but that's ok.

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Took quite awhile but I did get all the frames taped last month. The bunks are also fitted and taped. The bunk hatches are nearly finished.

ImageImage

Some other pictures
ImageImage
ImageImage

Found an "opps".
I suspect I switched the last two vertical dimensions of the side panel. In the picture, I already planed the side at Frame A down about 10mm. The batten shows the fair curve. Easily fixed with a little wood and epoxy.

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Got the CB cut over the weekend. The steel core came to 58kg. I changed my plans (Sketchup drawing) and did not use hardwood for the trailing edge, just the leading edge. The trailing edge is all plywood.

I took pictures of it curing but they're still in the camera. I'll post them later.

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 »

Must of used a quart of epoxy on this thing.

SCUBA
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SCUBA »

Hi, would you let me know where are you located in the Philippines? I stay on Bohol and have just started with the cheap canoe! Ah,...and where do you buy your epoxy?