Ollie's CX25 (Modified)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OllieK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OllieK »

I understand what you are saying, but....

I work away from home for about 20 weeks from april through september. It was my intention, as time is going to be rare, to have everything cut now while I have time on my hands (If only for another few weeks) While most builders can epoxy out a boat and maybe then spend time cutting there next part, I will not have that time on my side. i am thinking that if I get one evening a week I am going to be lucky. I hear what you are saying though, so will do as you say, you guys have a heep on me as far as doing things the right way!

Regards

Ollie

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Ollie, maybe an idea?
idea click 31 diesel
After seeing it I'm in doubt what to do!

dustin1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dustin1 »

The C25 will more closely approximate Shearline's Sailfish 25 in dimensions. That is a nice looking vessel BTW, nicely laid out for Florida style sailfishing, although I must admit the console structure, in my opinion anyway, doesn't really need the flybridge-style sides. I absolutely love the classic style helm pod though.

Looking at it though you can definitely see than an Express configuration would certainly work and probably a cobia tower too. The gunwale height does look a little low to confidently wire a big fish but I guess that can be worked around. As one of my old captains used to tell me whenever he thought I was hanging on too tight: "The angler brought it to the boat once on 130, he can bloody well do it again."

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

dustin1 wrote:The C25 will more closely approximate Shearline's Sailfish 25 in dimensions.
correct but this
looks more like this
instead of this

OllieK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OllieK »

peter-curacao wrote:Ollie, maybe an idea?
idea click 31 diesel
After seeing it I'm in doubt what to do!
Peter, already given it thought....I also asked the question last year i think about a stern drive with mid boat mounted engine with a jack shaft. I think if I remember correct that Jacques said it could be done, but I would need an enginering company to make the shaft long enough.

Since then however my thoughts have changed. I am going to power the boat as designed, with bracket mounted outboads. I met a guy in Madeira this year who runs a boat in Mozambique - a 31 footer with outboards on the back - and he reguarly encounters Blue and Black Marlin upto grander class. They HAVE to run outboard boats there, as they have a sand bar to get over in order to get to the grounds. He deals with winds and seas that I will rarely, if ever see in the mid atlantic islands, as we fish in the lee off the south side of the islands, out of the trades that blow from the N.E. during the Marlin season.

Time is not on my side, as I said before, I work away for about 20 odd weeks of the summer so it's going to be about 8 months or so before I think I can get to flip over stage. I don't realy want to be messing around trying to get the info needed to put a single inboard in her (even though I would love to!) and making the changes to the hull in order to do so. Thinking of things like stringer size and spacing, thats something that would be best done at the start rather than trying to add / beef up stringers to mount an engine on.

However, if someone is up to putting this into practice, then who knows what the future holds......... :lol: and just to put a spanner in the works, have you looked at the Carolina Classic 25 with inboard????

Ollie

PS, Dustin can hang on to the big girls when he needs to. We had him yanking on a 700+ fish for an hour a couple of years ago. I got her to the boat in a little over 15 mins and she would NOT let me keep more than a few feet of the wind-on leader on the reel. Backwards and forwards, to and throw. He did a great job, but his back sure played up for a while after :D

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

OllieK wrote:However, if someone is up to putting this into practice, then who knows what the future holds......... :lol: and just to put a spanner in the works, have you looked at the Carolina Classic 25 with inboard????
Did you missed Deedaddy? I was trying to found his photo tread with no success maybe someone else?

OllieK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OllieK »

peter-curacao wrote:
OllieK wrote:However, if someone is up to putting this into practice, then who knows what the future holds......... :lol: and just to put a spanner in the works, have you looked at the Carolina Classic 25 with inboard????
Did you missed Deedaddy? I was trying to found his photo tread with no success maybe someone else?
Peter, yes I haave seen Deedaddy's boat. I think he had a rear mounted engine into a stern drive. That set up eats into your cockpit space though, and kind of puts me off, thats why I asked about mid mounting the engine and running a jackshaft, that way you don't loose half of the cockpit to an engine box. Mid mounting the engine , i thought, would be a way of making the engine cover / box into a driving position???

Both the boats above are running an inboard with shaft and props, thus avoiding all the "junk in the truck" so to speak. I would be interested in if that configuration could be done in a CS/ CX 25, after all the Carolina Classic 25 does it rather well, but would want someone to do it first as I dont have the time to work things out / change plans ect. That said, if I wanted a boat with out said "junk" I could have gone for the LB26, but those Carolina lines are way to sexy to ignore so I am willing to make the sacrifice. Maybe in days to come a CS / CX 31 with 12 foot beam and twin inboards may make it onto the drafting table :doh: if so then :help:

Ollie

dustin1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dustin1 »

Peter, the point I was trying to make in putting up the photos of the Shearline 25 is that the express configuration in Ollie's pic is going to have to be incorporated within the dimensions of a 25 foot hull. The tower would need to be shorter than it is on that 31 for instance. What does look a little tight to me, looking at the Shearline 25, is the cockpit. The chair would need to be carefully selected and I can see the angler having to brace his feet against the covering boards because a footrest may take up too much space. (I guess that's one situation where the gunwale height being where it is might come in useful - the other being hauling a 200 lb bigeye over the side 8) )

OllieK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OllieK »

dustin1 wrote:Peter, the point I was trying to make in putting up the photos of the Shearline 25 is that the express configuration in Ollie's pic is going to have to be incorporated within the dimensions of a 25 foot hull. The tower would need to be shorter than it is on that 31 for instance. What does look a little tight to me, looking at the Shearline 25, is the cockpit. The chair would need to be carefully selected and I can see the angler having to brace his feet against the covering boards because a footrest may take up too much space. (I guess that's one situation where the gunwale height being where it is might come in useful - the other being hauling a 200 lb bigeye over the side 8) )
Dustin see pic below

As I am taking out the existing driving position and doing away with the head and galley in favour of a more forward central driving station there's 10'10" of cockpit to play with almost. The "Balancal" only has a 7 foot-ish cockpit, so we are going to have more room, don't worry! As for the gunwale hight, think what it is like on the "Cabo" - lock yer knees in under the covering board and hang on!

Any how, down to building news.

The unit were were due to move into a couple of weeks ago was no use. Once the owner had cleared it out, we noticed that the floor was nothing more than dirt at best, and very uneven. So we asked for another unit but the guy had moved all the stuff from one into the other so we have had to wait a couple of weeks for him to move everything back! I have in the mean time been drawing and cutting at my work unit (big enough but not allowed to use)
Well yesterday I got the keys to the new unit, it is way bigger than the one we were due to move into but the price is the same, I have room for 3 GS28X's in there!!! We are due to build the strongback this weekend, and then I have a week booked of work in 3 weeks time to build the hull????? :help: so will report back then

Regard

Ollie

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Thats exactly the layout I was thinking of as well.

Do show some drawings if you get a chance.

E