Has anyone ever sprayed sterling paints

sterling L.P. topcoats and primers
flattitude 1976
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Has anyone ever sprayed sterling paints

Post by flattitude 1976 »

just wondering if anyone has ever sprayed sterling paints i would like to use their ice blue but want to spray my finish

any help would be appreciated
mark :doh:

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

yes, its requires a different catalyst and reducer, we sell both. they are not listed at the site, just call or email when you need it.

Joel

BTW, i will move this thread to the STERLING category

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

You also need a rebreather or forced air type full face respirator along with a Tyveck type suit when spraying Sterling. It is not a nice paint to deal with when spraying.

Just a reminder if you didn't know already. :D

Tom

flattitude 1976
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flattitude 1976 »

ya i knew already i have an scba from the fire department i work for that i acquired a while ago and will use that it is self contained and i get about 45 min per bottle

quadradomus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re:

Post by quadradomus »

TomW wrote:You also need a rebreather or forced air type full face respirator along with a Tyveck type suit when spraying Sterling. It is not a nice paint to deal with when spraying.

Just a reminder if you didn't know already. :D

Tom

What?? I know this thread is two years old, but I am about to make the jump into some Sterling paint. I plan on spraying it.
Can somebody from 2011 please add to this, and tell me what these safety devices are, and are they really necessary. Of course I want to do the right thing, but this sounds pretty serious. :doh:

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Has anyone ever sprayed sterling paints

Post by gstanfield »

ANY paint with a catalyst will need protective gear when sprayed, especially in terms of respirator. Most catalyst contain Isocyanate which will crystallize with water, this means the vapor in your lungs, water in your eyes, etc.

Now, as a former custom auto painter I know many guys who sprayed with nothing more than the $40 masks myself included a few times, but I also know a few of them who went on to have major respiratory problems on down the road. One guy developed a severe reaction to the stuff that meant he had to quite his job, and he was one hell of a custom paint guy :help:

My usual gear for spraying paint these days includes a hood type supplied air respirator, one piece dickies coveralls (just my painting clothes, nothing special) and nitrile gloves. There are better set-ups out there, but i find this good enough for me. The respirator cost about $300 which is kinda costly, but I prefer to be around when my kids get old.

For the sake of not dealing with overspray, safety gear, etc I would roll and top if I were using sterling. I have a full paint booth at my disposal and I still roll and tip some things and the quality is just as good as was I get with my $500 SATA spray gun :wink:
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Not a problem to spray, but you will not get any better results unless your a professional sprayer. You have a better chance in messing something unless if you spray a lot. The safety concerns are real, you MUST wear proper protection, its dangerous stuff to breath when its put through a sprayer.

We sell the spray reducer and catalyst, its a 1/1 mix ratio.

We do not recommend spraying, there just is not enough (or any) upside for most people.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

I've spent quit a bit of time behind a paint gun, both HVLP and airless. I'm no professional by any means but I have one incredible set up that works really well.

I'm nervous about proceeding with the roll and tip method. I trust my hand on a spray gun a whole lot more. After talking with CrackerLarry about painting the boat I have been considering having it professionally painted.

However, after putting graphite on the bottom and grip on the deck, I'll only be left the center console, poling platform, sides panels, transom and a little bit of the hull.

So now I'm considering testing my skills on the center console and poling platform. If they turn out nice I may tackle the sides and transom. If not I'll sand them smooth and have a professional paint them.

I figure this is a conservative approach to spraying my Phantom.
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff »

Due to high moisture humidity in my garage the roll and tip did;t work out very well. :doh: Next We sprayed it. My friend who has been painting since he was 12 yrs old did the job. It came out beautful. went out about 2 hours later and it was full of bubbles where the outgassing occured. had to sand it a second time and then took it to his brothers shop where he had a spray booth. this time it came out beautiful. If you spray make sure you have some kind of an exhaust fan going to keep the air moving. This allows all the fumes and gasses to escape and keeps the temperature down. Conditions make for a better job.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.