Has anyone ever sprayed sterling paints

sterling L.P. topcoats and primers
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Has anyone ever sprayed sterling paints

Post by flyfishingmonk »

I have a access to a nice booth for spraying the console and poling platform but will have to construct a temp booth in the garage for the hull. I have so many large drop cloths for my airless setup that I think I can make a nice spray tent over the boat with the proper filtered intake and exhaust.
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Casey, if you are going to spray Sterling, please use a forced air breathing system or SCUBA, or such. Ventilation alone won't do it, it is a very strong product. Don't close yourself in a tent with it unless you have a clean air source. I really want to see you again and take you fishing :D That stuff is nothing to fool with in a spay environment without every precaution. It's bad enough to brush it.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

And I do look forward to hanging out too so I'll be extra careful. I was planning on rounding up a forced air system. We use to use some basic systems in the pool industry that would prob work. However, I may just splurge for a sweet set up made just for paint. I'm sure I would use it for other applications as well. You know... Furniture, Anthrax attack, Mexican food. Stuff like that.
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Does anyone know if Sterling has the print through problems with the darker colors? I ask this because I saw the most amazing dark blue on a Cobra kit car today and I always thought dark or royal blue would look good going down the side. I'm thinking of something that starts as a point toward the bow and angles down toward the bottom of the transom as it goes toward the back.

davidtx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by davidtx »

flyfishingmonk wrote:Does anyone know if Sterling has the print through problems with the darker colors? I ask this because I saw the most amazing dark blue on a Cobra kit car today and I always thought dark or royal blue would look good going down the side. I'm thinking of something that starts as a point toward the bow and angles down toward the bottom of the transom as it goes toward the back.
Check out the graphic in my thread. My marlin blue and flag red should arrive on Monday. We should be applying it around the end of the month.
See my blog: http://buildingtx18.blogspot.com/view or drop "view" from the end for the old interface

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

This one below?

Man this is going to look awesome. Are you going to spray it on? Roll and tip? Or is it indeed a graphic you will be applying? (you may have already answered that somewhere in the thread)

davidtx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by davidtx »

I hired an auto body guy to do final prep and paint. He really, really wanted to spray rather than roll and tip, so I agreed. He no-showed this weekend, so I'm a little nervous now. At least he called first. If he bails, I'll finish it myself - roo and tip.
See my blog: http://buildingtx18.blogspot.com/view or drop "view" from the end for the old interface

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

I look forward to seeing how it turns out. I'm sure it will be great either way. That graphic you have worked up looks good too as does the boat.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Shine,

I got the sterling color chart today and there are some nice colors here to choose from. So do the darker colors print through?

I like the yellow, a couple of the blues and a couple of the reds. I tend to like the darker colors better. However, if I had to go with a lighter color the Marlin Blue and the Federal Yellow both look pretty good.

Casey

davidtx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by davidtx »

Casey, one of the reasons I went with the marlin blue was because it looked like a fairly close match to the sunbrella blue that will be on my t-top.