Trash in paint

sterling L.P. topcoats and primers
Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Trash in paint

Post by Murry »

One question I've been meaning to ask is.....

How do you get trash out of Sterling paint if you not supposed to wet sand and or buff the final coat? I thinking there's no way I could lay a trash free coat rolling and tipping in a garage.

Thanks for the help.

I'm in the process of choosing paint colors and brand for my gf.

Daniel

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Trash in paint

Post by Fonda@kauai »

A few tips that I found: #1-wet out the floor of the shop. I went a step further and wiped the walls down with a wet rag since they were dusty from fairing. It really works. #2- use a bug zapper for a few days before you paint. The effectiveness of this probably depends alot on where you live and how "buggy" it is. Worked for me though, there were noticeably less gnats and stuff by the third day. #3- Strain the paint before applying. There was some crap in mine that was leftover in the strainer.#4-Choose a windless day if possible. Also It would help to paint in a completely enclosed booth, but we do what we have to. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I'm sure if you do as much as you can to keep the dust down it'll turn out great.
p.s. I was sweating like a whore in church while I painted, make sure you wipe your brow every now and then so you don't drip in the paint :help:
Aloha

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Fonda@kauai wrote:A few tips that I found: #1-wet out the floor of the shop. I went a step further and wiped the walls down with a wet rag since they were dusty from fairing. It really works. #2- use a bug zapper for a few days before you paint. The effectiveness of this probably depends alot on where you live and how "buggy" it is. Worked for me though, there were noticeably less gnats and stuff by the third day. #3- Strain the paint before applying. There was some crap in mine that was leftover in the strainer.#4-Choose a windless day if possible. Also It would help to paint in a completely enclosed booth, but we do what we have to. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I'm sure if you do as much as you can to keep the dust down it'll turn out great.
p.s. I was sweating like a whore in church while I painted, make sure you wipe your brow every now and then so you don't drip in the paint :help:
Thanks Fonda. You did a fantastic job on your panga.

There has to be a usable method that allows us to clean the few bugs and debrit that find themselves in that beautiful finish
though. Can this stuff really not be wet sanded and buffed? :doh:

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I echo everything he says. You're not going to get the trash out of it, you have to keep the trash from getting into it. Sterling will show even small dust particles. The good news is that even the dust particules will shine brightly 8) . I also wet down the area a few times, walls, rafters, everything. I use Thermacell for repelling bugs. In my swamps a bug light attracts more bugs than it kills. It kills thousands, but most wouldn't be there if the light didn't attract them. A drop of sweat is a minor disaster, avoid that at all costs. Strain the paint, it picks up dust out of the air. If it sits a while strain it again. You might want to put the dogs in the house. I got a few dog hairs in mine :lol:

If a bug gets in the paint, resist the urge to go back and mess with it. Let the paint cure completely then scrape it off with your fingernail. It will just leave tiny bug feet prints, much better than the big smear you'll get messing with it wet. Nobody will notice but you.

I'm surely no expert on wet sanding and buffing, not inclined to be one either :| but I did try a couple of spot touch ups and could not quite duplicate the gloss of the paint with buffing. The buffed areas looks duller than the original paint. Other's results with that may be better than mine.

In the overall scheme of things though, I spent too much time and bother with it. She's already developing character scars from use, and accumulating more with every trip :lol: What the heck, we build them to use them, not to keep under glass.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

The good news is that even the dust particules will shine brightly
Thats true :lol: Sterling shows imperfections, but it's also so glossy it hides alot as well :D
What the heck, we build them to use them, not to keep under glass.
Yep that sums it up nicely :D
and a few other things: put it on thin, put it on thin, put it on thin
Aloha

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yep. Thin it good, then put it on real thin :wink:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

The buffed areas looks duller than the original paint.

That's what I was looking for guys, thanks.

I've got it now. Work really hard with shop and paint prep and what ever gets in the paint will just be in the paint.

Good tip on the bugs Larry.

Thanks guys