pvc sheets 1" x 4' x 20'

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
tedbayrer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

pvc sheets 1" x 4' x 20'

Post by tedbayrer »

Hi,

Has anyone used or looked into using these sheets? How does epoxy and glass stick to it?

One more question does expoxy need to be applied inside or can I build a new boat, since my pk78 is done, outside?

Ted

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: pvc sheets 1" x 4' x 20'

Post by TomW »

Ted epoxy and fiberglass doesn't stick well to PVC. PVC is usually welded to itself using a special technique. It is also heavier than our fiberglass/wood/fiberglass composite construction.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob »

tedbayrer wrote:Hi,

Has anyone used or looked into using these sheets? How does epoxy and glass stick to it?

One more question does expoxy need to be applied inside or can I build a new boat, since my pk78 is done, outside?

Ted
Are you talking about PVC foam core material like Divinycell or Core-cell? If so, yes they are sold by boatbuildingcentral.com and several Bateau designs have them as an alternative to plywood core. They do require a different lamination schedule.

If you're not talking about pvc foam core, then you'll need to post a brand name or link to the material you're describing.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

As stated above, it completely depends on what material your talking about. If its trim board, then no, epoxy will not bond, it peels off (its also super heavy). Post the technical data sheet for the product and we can tell if its suitable.

tedbayrer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tedbayrer »

Hi,

I will try to contact National Fisherman Magazine in regards to its article in the June 2009 issue page 22 under section boats/gear cover story describing a Chesapeake Bay boat builder that used this material to build a pound net skiff. They decided to use this material "after they saw a sharpie that a customer built using this material"

Ted

Pop Alexandra
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Pop Alexandra »

TomW wrote: Thu May 14, 2009 11:48 pm Ted epoxy and fiberglass doesn't stick well to PVC. PVC is usually welded to itself using a special technique. It is also heavier than our fiberglass/wood/fiberglass composite construction.
Tom
Thanks for confirming, Tom. That's also what I've noticed, though Marvec PVC is a bit closer in terms of weight.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Pop Alexandra wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:06 am
TomW wrote: Thu May 14, 2009 11:48 pm Ted epoxy and fiberglass doesn't stick well to PVC. PVC is usually welded to itself using a special technique. It is also heavier than our fiberglass/wood/fiberglass composite construction.
Tom
Thanks for confirming, Tom. That's also what I've noticed, though Marvec PVC is a bit closer in terms of weight.
This is not accurate and not referring to pvc foams, but pvc plastic I believe.

Posting to out of date threads from 12 - 13 years ago is not so good.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495