PH18 w/tunnel

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Don's PH 18 w/tunnel

Post by Uncle D »

Hello again everyone!!
Been a year since I was last here. was dealing with docs and meds. Now the weather here in So. Tx. has cooled a little, I'm getting ready to start the project again. I have begun to re-read the plans to get back up to speed. The last work I did was to glass the inside of the hull.(sorry Shine, I did the glass work before I got your suggestion on raising the droopy bow. I'll get it raised as much as I can. Still looks cool though.)
OK, I'm going to tab the stringers in next. As I was studying the plans I saw a note on filling the stringers with foam after there done . I have 2 gal of A and 2 gal of B but I don't know if it's enough to fill all of the stringers. Any way, the plans noted to box in, or I guess cover them. I thought the sole did that and then the sole glued to 1x1 cleats attached to frames, bulkhead and stringers. Also are drains installed below the sole if they are full of foam or just cockpit drains.
I'm editing because I've been reading Smokeymountains thread on his build.I remember reading in the past about the slurry somewhere for the bottom and sides. So I guess I should have asked: What do you all suggest I do now to get back into my build. I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks, Don.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Welcome back, hope to see some new progress on the boat soon.

George
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I thought the sole did that and then the sole glued to 1x1 cleats attached to frames, bulkhead and stringers.
thats right, the sole is epoxied down to the tops of the stringers and frames
Also are drains installed below the sole if they are full of foam or just cockpit drains.
Im not sure I understand the question. You run all chase tubes or PVC drains before you fill the compartments with foam, its basically impossible to do it after

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain »

Any way, the plans noted to box in, or I guess cover them. I thought the sole did that and then the sole glued to 1x1 cleats attached to frames, bulkhead and stringers.
Don,

I'll take a stab. I think you are referring to the lamination schedule. As I understand the plans, once you fillet the stringers you will tape them with the 12oz biax. The next step will be to fit the bulkheads and then fillet and tape. Once this is complete you will glass with fabric the stringer / bulkhead "boxes" up to the top of the stringers. There is a step by step 11x17 lamination schedule. It took me reading it about 6-7 times to get full comprehension :oops: , but I'm slow...

We're at about the same steps... it will be good to get ideas from each other.

Andrew

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

shine wrote:

Im not sure I understand the question. You run all chase tubes or PVC drains before you fill the compartments with foam, its basically impossible to do it after
Sorry I'm not clear on a few points, Shine. I'm going to go back over past builds and your sticky on your builds to see what you did on hull drains and foam. I guess I wanted to know if I need mouse holes between the stringers to let any water drain and not be trapped. I'm sure getting ahead of myself. :oops:
SmokyMountain wrote:There is a step by step 11x17 lamination schedule. It took me reading it about 6-7 times to get full comprehension :oops: , but I'm slow...

We're at about the same steps... it will be good to get ideas from each other.

Andrew
I'll get some photos showing where I'm at and get yours and everyone's input.

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Question: did you find the direction of the strands in the cloth went all funky when you rolled the cloth back upo and then applied it back down on the resin or did you manage to guide it from at to fore?
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

MarkOrge wrote:Question: did you find the direction of the strands in the cloth went all funky when you rolled the cloth back upo and then applied it back down on the resin or did you manage to guide it from at to fore?
Mark, not sure what your talking about...do you mean when I rolled out the 50" glass to do the outside and insides of the hull?? I really didn't have any problems at all during the glassing.

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

After a few a problems with the transom (as in do it right the first time), I've got all the stringers and bulkheads painted with epoxy. All are set in place with spacers, ready to tab.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

That looks great :!: And safe. Nice work, I'm sure glad you made that change :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Hi Don. My question is around working witht the cloth so I'll take a picture and make a separate post so I don't hijack yours....

Thanks,

Mark
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !