CV16 Wyvern

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: CV16 Wyvern

Post by Cracker Larry »

Chris, those gunwales are going to look great :!: And I love the fenders, very nice, very salty 8) I used to know how to do that fancy rope work years ago, I need to re-learn some of it.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

Cracker Larry wrote:Chris, those gunwales are going to look great :!: And I love the fenders, very nice, very salty 8) I used to know how to do that fancy rope work years ago, I need to re-learn some of it.
Thanks for the encouragement!

The fenders are easier than they look. Stopping is the hard part. I wasn't very neat at the end with the toggle. At that point however I did not care. You can only make so many overhand knots one after another before losing motivation.

I agree I love the look of the gunwales. Each step I take twords thier finished state makes me love them all the more.

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

Well.... I got the foredeck on and the seats all glued down. last night I was sanding away, I was using a block because I am really begining to hate the noise of sanding with power tools. So I'm sanding along and the boat is shifting under my sanding stroke when suddenly the cobbled together cradle colapses. (no damage :D ) Now I must lift the boat off the cradle and rebuild the cradle and then put it back. what a drag. :(

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Almost had that happen myself, but caught it just in time and put in 4 diagnols, then went at again. Glad nothing broke, especially you. :)

With those parts in and cured, she should be much stiffer now. Starting the road to finish prep I imagine. :D

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

ks8 wrote: Starting the road to finish prep I imagine. :D
Still some glass work to do, tape on the mid seats and cloth on the outside. Then about 10,000 epoxy drips to sand. :x The boat did not fall very far when the cradle broke. and only the bow end. the aft part of the cradel kept it upright and the bow dropped about 4 inches to rest on the a different part of the cradle. It wasn't a catastophe but it is something I need to fix before I go on. I'll have to think about redesigning the cradle a bit as she will spent a fair amount of time upside down on the cradle as I glass, fair and paint the outside. I was encouraged by the very solid thunk it made when it fell. :roll:

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

Here are pictures of the current state of Wyvern. All the seat tops are on and taped. The fore deck is on. I rebuilt the cradle today. Its much sturdier than before. The boat is much heavier than before. When the previous cradle colapsed it almost completely crushed the various supports. Just about the only bits left undamaged were the cross members with the wheels.

I've added a little pad as I discovered that the trolling motor that I will use would not clamp onto the transom without a block.

I've added a little rail to stop water from running off the foredeck into the cockpit.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Hey hey! There she is! :)

Her first embarassing naked baby picture! :lol:

Now you get to do more of that part you really like.... fairing and sanding. 8)

What camera/lens are you using? Nice job of picking angles....

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

Now you get to do more of that part you really like.... fairing and sanding.

:x I just need to get in there and do it. When I work on sanding I always hate it. but I love the result. I just went back and looked at the begining of this thread, its encouraging. I need to keep advancing the project. The problem with sanding is that it does not really change the shape of the project so it does not seem like a big advance. I liked the painting. That was very dramatic visually.
What camera/lens are you using? Nice job of picking angles....
I use a Canon SD1000 PowerShot. I like it, its a great camera, very small, fits right in your pocket, you wouldn't even know that you have it.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

That lense is doing a nice job. :)

My tape lines are invisible at the hull side seam. You can barely see them at the seat riser seam. It was fun watching them fade toward being barely perceptible. It will pay when you get primer on there and see the difference that some good fairing makes. I don't know that any CV16 builders make that inner tape line completely vanish. Its not hideously ugly, and helps if the tape is uniformly wide all along the top. When its a uniform dimension the full length of the seat top, it almost looks intentional. :lol:

If you work towards making those outer hull joint tape lines vanish, you won't be dissappointed. It is hard to describe until you see it with primer. Either way, you won't be dissappointed.... enjoy it. She's looking good! You're into pre paint prep. Moving right along! :D

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

I sat in the boat for the first time the other night. My new cradle is sturdy enough for me and the boat. It was weird to be onboard for the first time. I'm using quick fair to fill the weave of the biax and the edge of the tape. I'm doing a lot of sanding. :x :cry: