1984 Grady White Seafarer Transom Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
VeroWing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1984 Grady White Seafarer Transom Rebuild

Post by VeroWing »

Project got bogged down for a week or so after I discovered that the sidemount hydraulic steering rams that came with twin outboards I purchased would not work for my application. Had to purchase a new frontmount ram with tiebar, and then wait a week for delivery. Bolted it up to the starboard engine and then mounted that outboard.

Very happy to see an outboard once again hanging on the rear of this Grady. Its been way too long. Boat should run better than ever with these twin 115s. Tohatsu makes their 115s by detuning 140s. The ones I have, have been bumped back up to 140s by removing factory added mechanical stop bracket on primary carb linkage, and advancing timing 2* to 140 specs. I can almost smell that twostroke exhaust already!

I placed a 3/4" plastic spacer between bracket and transom notch top, raising engine another 3/4". Drilled mounting holes in second hole location down on mounting bracket. These holes in bracket are also spaced at 3/4", so now I can run engines at present height, and then drop them down 3/4" using the same holes in transom, and see which location will give the best performance and economy.

Still have to make some kind of paint/gelcoat decision for exterior hull, especially below water line.

Chief Brody
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Chief Brody »

Vero...thats looking great! Since it looks like you already have bottom paint on the boat, I'd think about putting on several layers of Interprotect and bottom paint below the water line and use the same paint you used inside for the outside above the waterline.......that thing will be looking and running nicely any day now....

VeroWing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by VeroWing »

Chief Brody wrote:Vero...thats looking great! Since it looks like you already have bottom paint on the boat, I'd think about putting on several layers of Interprotect and bottom paint below the water line and use the same paint you used inside for the outside above the waterline.......that thing will be looking and running nicely any day now....
Chief, I'll check that Interprotect paint. I intend to keep boat on the trailer, so I don't really need an antifouling paint. I want to remove current antifouling paint and apply a nice smooth long lasting bottom paint to hull. I'm not sure what to use, but if it is nice, smooth, long lasting, and made to be a below water coating for a primarily saltwater used boat, then that is what I am looking for. Mike

Chief Brody
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Chief Brody »

Mike, the Interlux Interprotect is an epoxy based coating with a special filler (not graphite) that can be used to seal either gel coat or metal.....20 mils of this will last over 10 years (so they say) and keep water out, especially on older porous gelcoats........but the drawback is since its epoxy, it has to be covered with another paint as it can't stand up to long term UV exposure....so most people paint over it with either hard bottom paint or ablative bottom paint, both of which are anti-fouling....I like the ablative as it wears away like stain on a house....the hard stuff tends to chip and peel and looks like crap after a few years........I don't know of any other bottom paint thats not antifouling?? Unless maybe you could use the epoxy mix that the wood boat guys use on this forum....I think its OK for UV protection and the epoxy will definitely seal your old gel coat....let us know what you find!

Chief

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Interlux also makes a hard epoxy bottom paint for boats that are stored on trailers.
there is no antifouling in it. I thimk its called VC performance epoxy, for go fast boats.
I think defender is selling it for 53.00 a half gallon.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Chief Brody
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Chief Brody »

Topwater, have you used this stuff before? From personal experience, the hard anti-fouling paint doesn't hold up long term from the abrasion of a roller or bunk trailer....it tends to chip.....maybe this paint is tougher and is the holy grail for trailered boats...will need to investigate.....

VeroWing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by VeroWing »

Thanks Chief and Topwater. I'll definitly be checking out that Interlux VC. There must be a bottom paint out there that isn't an antifouling type, that will hold up. Hopefully this may be it. Mike

fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fishin' »

why don't you just use one of the paints used so commonly on this board? You're going to keep the boat on a trailer correct?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

That's what I would do. If you want a paint that really looks good, sold here, the Sterling is the way to go. The S3 paints would work OK too, but they won't touch the finish of Sterling, if you're looking for a really good finish.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

VeroWing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by VeroWing »

What I want to do, at least at this time, is to remove that antifouling bottom paint, and replace with a more permanent paint that will last for a while. I would use one of the paints from here in a second, but I don't believe they are for use below waterline. Even though this boat will be trailered, from time to time it could remain in water for a week or so, and from info I've gathered, most topside paints will bubble in that time.
I'm most likely going to end up painting the entire cockpit with system 3. I really like how it came out in the splash area. Aside from the cockpit and exterior hull bottom, I think I may be able to revive the gelcoat to an acceptable level.
To be completely honest, I'm very anxious to get this boat wet. I may get outboards rigged, replace removed antifouling paint on exterior transom rear with the same, that I have already, and just run the boat like that for a few months. I really need some "water therapy". I'm sure you guys know how that is. This will give plenty of time to thoroughly research bottom paint options.
I do appreciate your opinions though. I know very little about correct finishes to use on our boats. Mike