Moonfish Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Moonfish Build

Post by Doc_Dyer »

fishin' wrote: doc are you building this boat now?

NO but it is on my list of things to build.
they are a blast on the beach on vacation

Bradley
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fishin' »

I hope they are, I will be launching mine off the beach in front of my parents home. I've never sailed a sunfish in particular so I am excited to try it out.

Put in a few more hours over the last couple days. Got all the remaining pieces drawn. Just have to cut them all out now. Tomorrow we do more fg splices and then hopefully the next update will show some real progress. Perhaps some pictures tomorrow.

By the way, since I am launching off the beach some kind of lifting rudder would be nice. I have heard hear of being able to make such a thing but can't seem to find exact information. Does anyone know anything about this or have other recomendations?
Hours: 9.5

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Since I don't have the plans in front of me, it is difficult to comment. Are you looking for a kick up rudder, or a lifting rudder? If your plans have neither (which I assume from your request), it may be because they weigh more, or the transom does not have the height to support the hardware. Either option tends to steal some room from the lower part of the rudderhead for mounting the lower pintle...

And here is the structure on the inside... I did a relief cut on the blue line so the rudder goes almost 90° horizontal.

The kickup rudder will spare some damage in a clunk. The lifting rudder would not unless you first lift it.

But you see this sort of design is heavier than a metal or composite alternative. It is easier to build a plywood and glass assembly, but on a smaller boat, a metal rudderhead, or a composite one, would be much lighter. Some research might result in a source for something very suitable. :)

You could adapt a design similar to this for a lift up rudder...

And here is what Richstrat is using on his AR15 ...

You can surf around on his thread here for more helpful details about the rudder arrangement, even though his boat is different.

Hope that helps. :D

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Find a sunfish and copy that design for rudder, or you could see if you could find a sun fish rudder
and dagger for sale and use them, i think it said that in the study plans i could be wrong .
You could also use the sail rig it would give you a little more sail area.
Novi 23 finally launched !

fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fishin' »

Thanks for the help guys.

topwater, you are correct I can use sunfish daggerboard and rudder and also the sails. I probably will use a sunfish sail since they are so readily available but would like to make the rudder and daggerboard if I can, since that is kinda the whole idea. I may change my mind though if I can find a good rudder to use for beach launching. Thanks again guys.

Peter

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

fishin' wrote:Thanks for the help guys.

...would like to make the rudder and daggerboard if I can, since that is kinda the whole idea. I may change my mind though if I can find a good rudder to use for beach launching. Thanks again guys.
Looks like "fragi" is using this 'router' method. Hope this helps.
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19965

fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fishin' »

thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I will try to build a lifting rudder in the fashion of what the Sunfish comes with. I'll let you all know how it turns out. We are in the process of putting the fiberglass splices on both sides of the bottom and side panels. I have a question about that, and unfortunately I think I know what the answer is going to be. One of the side panels got missaligned while the tape was drying so that the edges are about 1/4" off. Is this likely to cause a large problem, or is it something that can be fixed by using extra glue or something along that line? I am thinking I should probably grind away the tape and redo it, but wanted to see what some of you experts thought. Thanks for the help.

gk108

Post by gk108 »

You probably have it done by now, but it will be easier, quicker and cheaper to re-do the splice. :wink:
CC, D15, V10

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

I vote for redo. :)

fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fishin' »

yeah that's what I figured