Page 1 of 1

Jbing's FL12 Splashed!!!

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:28 pm
by JBing
We went down to the water hole yesterday for the big splash! My brother Jason and I had a blast!!! Lots of friends and family made their way out to join us in the fun. Jason and I would like to thank everyone on BBC for all their help and input over the past few months and thanks to Jacques for the great design! We have had a lot of fun and have made some life long memories during this build! We look forward to many hours of fishing and messing around on the water in our hand made FL 12! Thanks again to everyone! Enjoy the pics!

We are on our way!!

The Old Seagull

We dont drink Champagne so a bit of Oberon did the trick :D

Re: Jbing's FL12 Splashed!!!

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:30 pm
by tech_support
congrats on the launch!

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:38 pm
by JBing

And a way we go!! The plan was to let Jason take the helm on the maiden voyage but he couldn't get the Seagull going :lol:

The old Seagull ran like a champ!! The boat tracked perfect and with the outboard it was very stable!

The seawall was a bit high but we managed

Jason and his GF

From left to right, Dad, Jason and I (Jbing)

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:40 pm
by JBing
everyone that came for the big day

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:41 pm
by JBing
well almost everyone :D wrong picture :D

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:45 pm
by JBing

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:08 pm
by TomW
Great pics! Congrats on the launch. Glad the Seagull worked out, they don't make 'em like that any more.

Tom

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:21 pm
by Cracker Larry
Excellent report, beautiful boat 8) Congrats on the launch!

What are you building next :?:

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:36 pm
by ks8
Congrats! :D When do you get your first meal with her?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:42 pm
by JBing
Thank you for all of the kind words!! Its kind of comical now that we look back on the finishing stages of the build. We spent a lot of time making sure certain things like the rub rail were nice and fair, and paint was just perfect. Then you get the boat in the water and bang a few oars against it, bump it up against the dock, ect. And it's at that point you realize its no longer this perfect, sculpted piece of wood in the garage, but a working, usable boat! We thought we had planned well for all the little amenities, but once on the lake we quickly found our selfs saying "We need cup holders here, and rod holders there, and oh a place to mount the paddles when not in use". I think this is what makes building you very own boat so appealing. If you want to add little accessories here and there its totally possible! :D

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:49 pm
by flatpicker
Congrats on the launch, and thanks for sharing. Have fun!!! 8)

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:04 pm
by JBing
As for the next build, my brother and I really like the OB15. It really is the style boat we have boon looking to buy for some time now. We started with the FL 12 like most first timers so the learing curve could be made with it. However when we do decide to retire the Fl 12 as the primary fishing boat I think we might opt to purchase the pre cut wood as it would save us a ton of time. But in the meantime I have to convert the "boat yard" back into a furniture work shop as my wife and I have a baby on the way. So in all realitiy the next build will more than likely be a crib!! :D

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:29 pm
by TomW
Congratulations to you and your wife, J. With a new crew member on the way you might want to consider the FS17, won't take much more building than the OB15 and has more room. :lol:

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:41 pm
by kdog
Congrats! You never forget that first launch. Looks like you had a great launch party.

You're right about worrying so much about dinging up the nice new finish. It took me a while but now I wonder why I spent so much time fairing and trying to get her perfect. I have really beat the crap out of my boat during the last four years and don't worry anymore, she can take it!

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:11 pm
by gk108
Awesome launch. That Seagull looks cool on an FL12. You might still be able to sneak in some boatbuilding with the baby furniture. Check out the Baby Tender.

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:37 pm
by mguel
The boat looks great! I'm really having Seagull envy right now. I'm starting to wonder if my 7.5 hp is going to be too heavy for my boat. I'm sure hoping its' not. Guess I'll find out soon! Great job!